Join for free
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2015, 07:11 AM

Host Process for Setting Syncronisation

AVG ran an automatic scan this morning and said I was virus free, then I got a Windows Security Alert saying Windows Firewall has blocked the above app (which I didn't know I had and don't know what it does!). The alert is asking me if I want to allow Host Process for setting sycronisation to communicate with either Private networks (which it has ticked by default), or Public networks. Then I need to either allow access or cancel.
Help please!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2015, 08:57 AM

Re: Host Process for Setting Syncronisation

There is a conversation about this here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...a05864e?auth=1 I willing admit a lot of it went over my head but hope it helps you.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2015, 09:17 AM

I wish they made these things simpler to understand. It might as well have been in chinese for all the sense it made to me Lindy. Hope you get sorted alright.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2015, 10:01 AM

Data is (or was) being sent somewhere (probably Microsoft) using the file, that is as long as you haven't been infected with some nasty malware or virus. Best bet is to run the malwarebytes free download file to check.

If your computer runs fine by blocking the file then block it to be on the safe side.

Malwarebytes download: click on the greyed out download link ...
https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/index.html

Effing computers. There are so many ways to infect your computer these days. The internet is one stinking messed up malware infested minefield.
PhilipM
Wales, UK
PhilipM is male  PhilipM has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2015, 11:35 AM

Ah Ha - this seems to have been what was causing my problems with installing Windows 10 on my desktop!! It was continually running after Win 10 came in and causing the screen to flash and the computer to be inoperable. Task Manager was the only thing I could get running and I went through that to look at what was eating up the processor time.

Eventually with PC World's telephone help we rolled it back to Windows 8.1 with no problems.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2015, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by PhilipM ->
Ah Ha - this seems to have been what was causing my problems with installing Windows 10 on my desktop!! It was continually running after Win 10 came in and causing the screen to flash and the computer to be inoperable.
lols

and you wanted to move up to Windows 10 why ?????

Bad enough that you have Windows 8 !

Windows 7 FTW imo
PhilipM
Wales, UK
PhilipM is male  PhilipM has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2015, 04:26 PM

I suppose I have just sort of felt that you give in to the inevitable with Microsoft. I had Windows 10 first on my new Windows 8.1 notebook PC and there were no problems with the installation. My main problem so far with Win 10 on that one is is that I don't like the new Edge browser which is rather dumbed down and touchscreen orientated and lacks useful features such as saving web pages. I still use Internet Explorer there.

It was only after that had gone all right for a while that I decided to risk the desktop when the Microsoft " invitation " arrived. However that one, although also a Windows 8.1, has a much more complicated set of programs on it including some C++ programming but all was working reasonably. However the is no basic difference with regards to Firewall settings and so on, both have accounts with the " Cloud " and both have up to date Norton so I still can't explain why one system installed OK and the other didn't? So now I have a Windows 10 notebook and a Windows 8.1 desktop.

P.S The PC World helpline, which I spoke to as the computers are from there and on maintenance agreements, said that they had had quite a lot of problems with Windows 10 as you would expect including the ones I had noticed. The Microsoft helpline was useless.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2015, 08:06 AM

Thanks for your helpful replies. I don't know if I need to do anything now, as yesterday I turned my computer off and when turned back on, the message has disappeared!!
Computers are a mystery to me!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2015, 08:19 AM

Windows 7 is being supported unto 2020 so I can wait a while yet before any upgrade

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top