Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2014, 01:18 AM

Wasting Energy

According to the Home Heat Helpline people -
"Appliances left on standby can use as much as three quarters of the energy they use when they are fully switched on. The average house normally has at least eight appliances on standby wasting you money that you could easily save.
When you come to replace an appliance, check the energy efficiency rating. Over the life of a washing machine or fridge-freezer, buying an energy efficient A+ or A++ rated model could save you its purchase price in reduced energy bills".

Also - "Turning your thermostat down by only one degree centigrade can cut the cost of your heating by 10%."
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2014, 08:59 AM

Re: Wasting Energy

I used to turn things off when they had switches I could reach, but I am not pulling out appliances to reach behind them before I go to bed. They really either need to make it easier or stop going on about things like this as to my mind they show how they have no idea about real life !
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2014, 09:28 AM

I have a couple of these power boards that monitor one device; if it is off it cuts the power to all the other devices on the 'slave' section of the board.

I have one connected to my computer so when the computer is off the power is cut off the sound system, printer, screen, scanner etc

The other connected to my home theatre so if the amp is off the power is disconnected from the TV, DVD player, Woofer, Internet switch, Media player, Blu Ray

It saves a bit of money especially those devices with low voltage transformers permanently plugged in.

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2014, 10:11 AM

I don't think I have anything on standby - Oh - yes I do - the computer, but that is the only thing. Everything else, except the obvious (refridgerator, deep freezer) is switched off before I go out/go to bed. The computer has to stay on standby because I cannot reach the wall socket without disturbing too many other things.
seaspirit
stowmarket suffolk
seaspirit is female  seaspirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2014, 10:20 AM

I can't reach my plugs they put them in such stupid [laces these days
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2014, 10:33 AM

I never leave anything on standby. But then I have always had a rather pathological hatred of any wastage.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2014, 10:51 AM

It annoys me that these 'agencies' treat us like idiots when giving out advice . I think we can work out for ourselves that turning the heating down will cut the cost of the heating bill and that leaving things on standby wastes electricity.

I am sure those of us living on pensions always try not to waste any electricity, we leave that to those with large incomes who don't need to worry about such things.

Its the same idea with the new 'energy saving' meters we are soon to receive in the belief that seeing how much we are using will help us to use less. It won't make a jot of difference to my usage because I think twice before I turn anything on now.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2014, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
It annoys me that these 'agencies' treat us like idiots when giving out advice . I think we can work out for ourselves that turning the heating down will cut the cost of the heating bill and that leaving things on standby wastes electricity.

I am sure those of us living on pensions always try not to waste any electricity, we leave that to those with large incomes who don't need to worry about such things.

Its the same idea with the new 'energy saving' meters we are soon to receive in the belief that seeing how much we are using will help us to use less. It won't make a jot of difference to my usage because I think twice before I turn anything on now.

I agree with that Meg, can't see how seeing what we're using will enable us to use less. These meters will be doing the companies more good than they will us - as usual.
I understand the new meters won't have to be read anymore, so they will get rid of their meter readers and save their wages for a start!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2014, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I agree with that Meg, can't see how seeing what we're using will enable us to use less. These meters will be doing the companies more good than they will us - as usual.
I understand the new meters won't have to be read anymore, so they will get rid of their meter readers and save their wages for a start!
I read my own meter and send in the reading once a month already I like to know what is happening
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2014, 12:54 PM

I never leave the microwave plugged in and always turn off the TV at the socket if I'm not watching

Some years ago I heard that when you've turned on a fluorescent light, leave it on. If you keep switching it on and off it wastes ? something or other

yay ... good stuff

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top