Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 12:16 PM

Re: Best thing about being an expat?

Originally Posted by VictoriaG ->
I love the expat life. I especially prefer the local Spanish. Even after years here I find their way of life much slower and calmer which suits me to a tee. Long may I continue to enjoy it.
How long have you lived in Spain, Victoria?

Do you speak fluent Spanish now?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Vaniy ->
We had been planning our move from 1986 and moved house in Spain more than the UK

Anyway we've both done well despite being from Leeds

Must have missed that one.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 07:35 AM

I miss being an expat .
I spend a lot of time in spain but despite having fluent Spanish i don’t really enjoy it the Spanish are ok it’s the British that are awful .
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I miss being an expat .
I spend a lot of time in spain but despite having fluent Spanish i don’t really enjoy it the Spanish are ok it’s the British that are awful .
I think something happens to some Brits when they holiday especially in Spain....its like they revel in bad behaviour....not all Brits but those that do make it difficult for the rest of us
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I think something happens to some Brits when they holiday especially in Spain....its like they revel in bad behaviour....not all Brits but those that do make it difficult for the rest of us
I don't believe it's being British that causes that problem, it's the excessive booze!

From what I've seen on TV programmes it's the 'sun, sea and sex' hedonistic resorts coupled with cheap drink, promoted by the pubs and clubs there, that make it bad for the reputation of anyone who's British.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I don't believe it's being British that causes that problem, it's the excessive booze!

From what I've seen on TV programmes it's the 'sun, sea and sex' hedonistic resorts coupled with cheap drink, promoted by the pubs and clubs there, that make it bad for the reputation of anyone who's British.
It only seems to be the British who earn the reputation though Baz...booze is available to all nationalities.
VictoriaG
Andalucia, Spain
VictoriaG is female 

05-07-2020, 08:09 AM

I have lived in Spain for over ten years now. First in a tiny hamlet amongst Spanish. Then I moved south. I find my best time was with the Spanish. They accepted us into their family. All the near by neighbours spoke to us and when we moved away it was with a very sad and heavy heart. We still keep in touch and I have more contact with them than I do with the people round me now. I cannot say living amongst the Brits is a pleasure unfortunately. I have found them snobbish and unwilling to embrace the locals and the way of life here. Some brits are friendly but very very few. Viva España I say.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
It only seems to be the British who earn the reputation though Baz...booze is available to all nationalities.
Yes, true, I see what you mean. You only have to look at cities and towns here in the UK to see the 'lager louts' here too. As someone who is teetotal, and almost always has been, I really would not like to be subjected to that reputation just because I am British though.
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 12:12 PM

Hi All been catching up with the comments
I have lived in Spain for 13 years and yes I am a resident and pay Spanish Tax which is far greater than the UK
I live in a Barrio called Campana which is in Nueva Anadlucia but our complex is residential and has many Spanish living here we all get on great there are one or two who rent out but not many so 12 at night most people are tucked up in bed as they have to work the next day
The lock down for us was not too bad as we have gardens and terraces to sit in and because we have a dog walks in the Campo no problem
We all rather like no visitors not good for the economy but you cant have everything moneys taken a bit of a battering but I have not put petrol in one of our cars since 13th March and still got 1/4 of a tank the pound is slowly coming back and the stock market is up and down but monies going back up so all in all very happy and the sun is shining
Agent
north east
Agent is male  Agent has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 06:36 PM

I always found that despite the pandering, the best bit was coming home

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top