Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 11:27 PM

Re: walking question

When I first started working in central London, my job often involved delivering stuff on foot. To make life interesting I would sometimes pick a person out some way in front and and a finish line , perhaps a lamp post or a phone box, then race them to it, long strides only, no running. Of course they had no idea I was racing them but I must have looked a complete tw@t speeding past them at the last second.

These days I'm a bit slower but I would say walking up hill I would be inclined (get it?) to take smaller steps, long strides up a hill could look just as ridiculous as they did in my youth.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
When I first started working in central London, my job often involved delivering stuff on foot. To make life interesting I would sometimes pick a person out some way in front and and a finish line , perhaps a lamp post or a phone box, then race them to it, long strides only, no running. Of course they had no idea I was racing them but I must have looked a complete tw@t speeding past them at the last second.

These days I'm a bit slower but I would say walking up hill I would be inclined (get it?) to take smaller steps, long strides up a hill could look just as ridiculous as they did in my youth.

Wan't it John Cleese who did the ministry of silly walks?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Wan't it John Cleese who did the ministry of silly walks?
It was and that's how it could look I reckon.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2020, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I know someone who used to live at the top of a very steep hill, she used to walk backwards up the hill, she said it somehow seemed easier to get up the hill . I'm not joking either
Yes! That is true to a point. Dunno why. Maybe the muscles you use to walk backwards are more fresh?. I think a long stride is better than short steps.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2020, 09:18 AM

If taking shorter steps, try not to make it look like mincing.

Edit: I'm going on a walk today. I haven't done much walking lately and it exercises different muscles to cycling. Part of the walk will involve going up a steep hill. I'll try a few different pace lengths if nobody is watching.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2020, 03:36 PM

These are a couple of hills I walked up. Very difficult to change the natural stride but I think the leading foot meets the ground earlier due to the upward gradient, so steps are probably a bit shorter. Trying to make them longer felt awkward..

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2020, 06:30 PM

I think stride length would be determined by the steepness of the gradient...Those hills would be described as 'undulations' on some of my walks Mart....

If I may......Running up hills is more energy efficient than walking, because the amount of time each leg has to bear your full weight is drastically reduced, and momentum is added to the equation....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

04-11-2020, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I think stride length would be determined by the steepness of the gradient...Those hills would be described as 'undulations' on some of my walks Mart....

If I may......Running up hills is more energy efficient than walking, because the amount of time each leg has to bear your full weight is drastically reduced, and momentum is added to the equation....
Photos often can't show the length and gradient of hills but anyway, they were the ones I walked up and gave thought to the length of pace. I have been pedalling up them for years. Not sure if I still could but might give it a try sometime.

I can't (or wouldn't) risk running due to a kneecap that I broke into three bits when I was in my forties. It gave trouble for a number of years and running might cause it to start again.

Best thing about cycling and walking (for me) is that neither activity jars the bones as much as running.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2020, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Photos often can't show the length and gradient of hills but anyway, they were the ones I walked up and gave thought to the length of pace. I have been pedalling up them for years. Not sure if I still could but might give it a try sometime.

I can't (or wouldn't) risk running due to a kneecap that I broke into three bits when I was in my forties. It gave trouble for a number of years and running might cause it to start again.

Best thing about cycling and walking (for me) is that neither activity jars the bones as much as running.
Oh God no Mart, I wasn't suggesting for one minute that you should attempt to run up hills....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

04-11-2020, 10:17 PM

Funny really but the but the last bit of knee pain to disappear before it finally went away altogether was when walking downhill. I suppose having to hold the bodyweight back. At the time, I got water on the other knee because of not being able use the broken one all that well.

I'd just started running with friends before I fell and broke the knee.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top