Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 12:22 AM

Martin Lewis warning

Look out for a letter arriving if you were with HSBC, First Direct, or M&S Banks.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...d-john-lewis-/
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 05:04 PM

Re: Martin Lewis warning

I had accounts with The Midland Bank then HSBC from 1971 to around 1987. They were almost always in the red every month thanks to my ex's inability to reign in her spending. (The more overtime I worked, the more she spent as well! ) I doubt I'll get any surprise cheques though as HSBC doesn't have my current address. In any case, those accounts were in joint names.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Look out for a letter arriving if you were with HSBC, First Direct, or M&S Banks.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...d-john-lewis-/
This sounds most odd.

I bank with HSBC, if they wanted to dish out money to costumers why send a cheque in the post? Because many will think it's a scam and bin it? I haven't seen a cheque in 20 odd years.

Thanks for the warning Mups.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 02:01 AM

surely it costs almost £50 to bank a cheque these days. I don't mean for the customer but for the bank and other agencies involved. It's a right palaver to go via clearing etc. Not sure if they have changed that system.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 10:32 AM

Thanks Mups I will look out for that.
I would not throw away a cheque without questioning it with the sender first.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top