Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 03:50 PM

Is your car E10 petrol-ready?

A reminder for those that have either forgotten or were not aware that it looks likely that E10 petroleum fuel will be rolled-out here in the UK this year as part of a range of measures designed to lower CO2 emissions.
It has been used in France, Germany, Belgium and Finland for a few years now and is used in the USA and Australia too.

All cars sold here in the UK from 2011 were required to be E10 compatible and even if yours is not, E5 petrol should be available alongside E10 petrol for quite a while.
That's not to say that devious retailers won't start charging a premium for E5 though.

Here's the RAC's explainer:
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/e...it-affect-you/

And here's a link as to which cars are or are not compatible with E10 petrol (in pdf format please note):
https://www.acea.be/uploads/publicat...patibility.pdf
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 03:59 PM

Re: Is your car E10 petrol-ready?

Gosh Zaphod, I've not heard a thing about this - thanks for posting about it, including the links.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 04:05 PM

I haven't heard about this either. Thanks for the link Zaphod. I've just checked and it's OK to use this E10 petrol in our new Qashqai - phew!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 04:52 PM

First I've heard of it as well, but ours are diesel so won't affect us.
Jane10
United Kingdom
Jane10 is female 

04-02-2021, 05:46 PM

Oh dear. I'll have to check. Due to the lockdown I've hardly clocked up any miles! I haven't had to get petrol for months
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Same here. Phew! (for the moment) No doubt they will jump on us next.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Same here. Phew! (for the moment) No doubt they will jump on us next.
My VW Golf is diesel so not affected by any of this. However, my other car is a 1984 vehicle with a Ford V6 engine, converted to unleaded, no idea about how this engine will be affected. Perhaps best converted to some other form of fuel e.g. hydrogen or LPG, rather than mess about having the existing engine modified yet again at extortionate cost!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
My VW Golf is diesel so not affected by any of this. However, my other car is a 1984 vehicle with a Ford V6 engine, converted to unleaded, no idea about how this engine will be affected. Perhaps best converted to some other form of fuel e.g. hydrogen or LPG, rather than mess about having the existing engine modified yet again at extortionate cost!
Perhaps we can run all vehicles on Government Bullsh*t in the future.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Perhaps we can run all vehicles on Government Bullsh*t in the future.
Good idea LD, there's plenty of that about, a never-ending supply,
best of all it's FREE– anyone of them can do it!
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Don't worry too much because as I said, E5 petrol will be available for quite a while yet I imagine.
I wanted to increase awareness, not scare anybody into getting rid of or adapting their cars.

I'm not sure what this will mean for "classics" in the longer term though?
Perhaps some sort of add-on might be enough as in the currently-available lead replacement fuel additives?

It does mean that sooner or later and one way or another, driving an older car which isn't compatible with E10 will cost more to run.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top