Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 09:51 PM

Re: Hinckley Point C

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
less than a drop in the ocean of other building programmes.
No it’s not actually it’s the biggest building site in Europe..

At a size equivalent to 380 full size football pitches, the construction of Hinkley Point C Nuclear Power Station (HPC) is the largest building site in Europe. Situated in Somerset, and currently employing around 6000 construction industry workers, it is estimated that a total of 25,000 jobs will be created during the development phase of HPC. The project itself is colossal. As well as building the power station itself, a village bypass, new housing for workers, park and ride facilities and marine development are amongst the many supporting construction features that have ensured an economic boost to the county of Somerset.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 10:02 PM

I thought you said we had troops who step in and take over the power stations in an emergency? I can't remember the details but I thought you don't need much plutonium once the power station is set up.

We have very good power infrastructure in Britain. Plus armed forces that are on the side of what's right not all corrupt like in some countries. Whatever you hear of other bodies you don't hear it of armed forces. Of course the tories are making cuts to that. Wonder why nobody is up in arms (no pun!) about that?
We have a lousy power infrastructure in this country. With the inevitable increase in load as a result of measures to reduce our carbon footprint kick in not only do we have an inadequate generating capacity but in addition the National Grid doesn't have the flexibility to distribute power to where it's needed when it's needed but in addition it's increasingly becoming worn out. Cables become worn out, especially overhead cables and supports, transformers become worn out, the whole bloody thing needs to be redesigned and rearranged - in short well past its sell-by date.

Armed forces? They're likely going to have their hands full trying to control the colonies and colonists but that apart what do you think they could do with our very friable electrical resource?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 10:10 PM

I thought you said we had troops who step in and take over the power stations in an emergency?
Yes, I'm sure our special forces would go straight in if necessary. The possession of a nuclear power station by an enemy could not be tolerated.

I can't remember the details but I thought you don't need much plutonium once the power station is set up.
I never said anything like that. As far as I'm aware, plutonium is primarily used for weapons and that is the major reason why we began experimenting with nuclear fission in the late '40s and '50s in order to create it.

We have very good power infrastructure in Britain. Plus armed forces that are on the side of what's right not all corrupt like in some countries. Whatever you hear of other bodies you don't hear it of armed forces. Of course the tories are making cuts to that. Wonder why nobody is up in arms (no pun!) about that?
Yes, thankfully you are correct.
In fact I'd go so far as to say that I'd hope for our armed forces to step in if we ever found ourselves with a dangerous group of people in power in parliament.
After all, they swear allegiance to the Queen not the bloody PM!

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top