Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 12:55 PM

Electric vehicles

https://theconversation.com/there-ar...instead-142545

The unavoidable conclusion is that we will not be able to electrify all of our transportation in the timeframe necessary to deal with climate change. Some journeys will have to be decarbonized through other means, such as cycling, walking, public transit or telecommuting.
Dachs
Germany
Dachs is male  Dachs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 01:13 PM

Re: Electric vehicles

Agree. Some journeys may not even be decarbonized at all.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 01:18 PM

There is another problem too Cinders, apparently lithium batteries also require cobalt in the manufacturing process, and not only is it in short supply, it is mainly sourced from an African state whose name escapes me... And the Chinese have obtained the sole mining rights, and as part of the deal, are providing the country with hospitals, roads and other infrastructure.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...c-cars-viable/
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
There is another problem too Cinders, apparently lithium batteries also require cobalt in the manufacturing process, and not only is it in short supply, it is mainly sourced from an African state whose name escapes me... And the Chinese have obtained the sole mining rights, and as part of the deal, are providing the country with hospitals, roads and other infrastructure.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...c-cars-viable/
I read somewhere that Australia is among the world's top ten producers of Colbalt. I don't think the Chinese own our supplies but I am sure we would sell some to them if they asked very nicely.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 04:43 PM

Do you own a caravan, a trailer tent, or even just a bog-standard trailer used for taking stuff to the tip? If you do, forget buying a fully electric car.

I was reading reports in various car magazines recently that suggest these cars "can't pull the skin off a rice pudding" and trying to tow with them severely reduces their range, pulling power, and their acceleration capability.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 04:59 PM

I still cant get my head around all this electric vehicle malarkey. The ICE can easily be converted to burn hydrogen just as they did in WWII, so it must ALL be down to the huge profits gained from the 'swap' from carbon based fuels to so called clean electric with its not insignificant carbon footprint.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 05:18 PM

I will never have one, I understand we need to reduce carbon but when the airlines stop pelting it out then maybe my attitude will change, but I doubt it, especially after reading Percy's post. I have to pull a horse trailer with two massive clydesdale horses in it, and that's no light weight.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 05:37 PM

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/audi/a...o-your-commute

What fun you could have in this.

The FitCar PPV, or pedal-powered vehicle, has a normal petrol engine and automatic gearbox, but in place of the accelerator on this prototype is a set of pedals from an under-desk exercise machine. Put simply, the faster you pedal, the faster the car goes, giving you all the benefits of a modern car, but allowing you to exercise.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/audi/a...o-your-commute

What fun you could have in this.

The FitCar PPV, or pedal-powered vehicle, has a normal petrol engine and automatic gearbox, but in place of the accelerator on this prototype is a set of pedals from an under-desk exercise machine. Put simply, the faster you pedal, the faster the car goes, giving you all the benefits of a modern car, but allowing you to exercise.

I'll stick to my Cubii while watching the Telly thanks.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 05:54 PM

I'm sure we've discussed this before.
Nevertheless, I'll just stick my neb in to repeat that I'll never have one for the reasons that have been given on here.
In fact, I'll go so far as to state that electric cars will never replace internal combustion vehicles.
They are a flash in the pan and the product of the imaginations of the eco-warriors, supported by businessmen who can see a weak-minded easily persuaded victim a mile off!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top