Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2021, 02:53 PM

Re: Petrol Gauges

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
My car is not that sophisticated the next model up has all that gear but I decided I could find out the temperature outside by opening the window so I just keep a record of fuel on a spreadsheet.
These 'sophisticated' cars are OK, until they go wrong then they can be very expensive to repair.
I still haven't even worked out some of the functions and I've had the car for seven years!

I don't get anything like the economy that you do but it is a 3 litre turbo diesel driving a 2 tonne vehicle so about 10L/100km is not bad especially as those figures are towing a camper too.
My other car, a Scimitar GTE, has a 2.8 V6 Ford petrol engine, around town that does about 20mpg, on a journey I might get 32mpg so rather thirsty. The consolation though is performance and rarity in style as perhaps a 'one day classic'. I haven't used it for some while now though, another project to get 'sorted'!

BTW I used to think the "litres per 100km" was a daft measure but I must admit it is actually very useful and like it now.
I have yet to go completely metric, although on most things it does make more sense. Those figures I quoted seemed very strange. Perhaps I've been using imperial measures for too long?

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Thats what I do too, Baz. I fill up when it gets down to the halfway mark.
Better than taking chances I reckon and it's a habit that is difficult to get out of too,
even with my car being like a laptop computer on wheels!
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2021, 05:31 PM

Mups, how much fuel did you put in?, sometimes if you only put a few quids worth in it can take the fuel gauge a while to register on some cars, if it appears to be working now, this could be the case, it will be ok and you can drive it, just be careful you don’t run out of fuel, I know from experience with mis reading fuel gauges…
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2021, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Mups, how much fuel did you put in?, sometimes if you only put a few quids worth in it can take the fuel gauge a while to register on some cars, if it appears to be working now, this could be the case, it will be ok and you can drive it, just be careful you don’t run out of fuel, I know from experience with mis reading fuel gauges…

I don't drive every day anymore, since I retired I find there is no need to. I don't do motorway driving either, so just for poddling about locally I find a tenner a week will usually do.

If I get really excited and venture further, £15 would cover it.

Thanks ever so much for the reassurance though, Primus.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2021, 11:25 PM

When I am travelling I fill up every day, personally when ever I get fuel I always fill the tank.

I recall that when I was in the UK in the late 1980s for my old man's funeral I drove my mother from Folkestone to Glasgow (it was the night of the Lockerbie crash). She insisted that we stopped at every servo on the motorways to fill up with fuel, it drove me up the wall. In the end I just refused to stop until the tank was three quarters empty it is not as if the UK has any shortage of fuel stations.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top