Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2021, 08:57 PM

Topiary

Have any members ever tried their hand at Topiary?
If so, what have you created?

I have been thinking about trying this for some time now, but never get round to actually getting started.
I rather fancy making an animal rather than just a round ball or similar.

Any hints and tips on how to begin please?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2021, 09:20 PM

Re: Topiary

If you haven't done it, perhaps try a round ball for a first go? I haven't done it myself, but I have watched it being done, and its all about balance and perspective, apparently. Its got to look good from all angles.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2021, 09:45 PM

I had a go once a few years ago and managed to create a ball with a smaller ball on top.. sorry, no pics.
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2021, 10:19 PM

What's the worst that can happen you let it regrow? have you got a plant in mind and do you see the animal in it you want to create? take it slowly stop more than you go. Look forward to seeing it apparently my great granddad was really good at it and around his allotment site and his garden he "created" many animals/shapes my Mom said his favourite was a knight from a cress set.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2021, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Kazz ->
What's the worst that can happen you let it regrow? have you got a plant in mind and do you see the animal in it you want to create? take it slowly stop more than you go. Look forward to seeing it apparently my great granddad was really good at it and around his allotment site and his garden he "created" many animals/shapes my Mom said his favourite was a knight from a cress set.

I like that bit, Kazz.
Good advice. Thank you.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

10-07-2021, 10:37 PM

Thanks Dongles and Pixie, I think perhaps I'd best do a bit more reading on this subject first.
Jaded
South yorkshire
Jaded is male  Jaded has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2021, 11:49 PM

I have a couple of cloud trees
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2021, 08:16 AM

Important to pick the right Shrub/Bush....Privet or Box would be my first choices...they need to be dense,,,,

I have done a cut out in a twirl/curl shaped one ages ago.like upwards waves..hard to explain this....

When it grows though, I found it needed lots of trimming...no big deal though if you like gardening in general..good luck...
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2021, 08:29 AM

I've got a few box plants I've trained into balls a couple of them I grew from tiny plants I'm always aware they are not perfectly round ...but I try my best They are in pots so I brought them with me from my last house.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

11-07-2021, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by DianneWoollie ->
Important to pick the right Shrub/Bush....Privet or Box would be my first choices...they need to be dense,,,,

I have done a cut out in a twirl/curl shaped one ages ago.like upwards waves..hard to explain this....

When it grows though, I found it needed lots of trimming...no big deal though if you like gardening in general..good luck...

Thank you Dianne. From what I've read I think you are right about the Box is most suitable.

I've been looking at the price of animal frames though and I nearly fell off me chair! They seem to be between £100 - £250. I never dreamed that would be as dear as that.

Now thinking of exploring buying the rust-proof wire and trying to design my own, but it's all only in my head at the mo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top