Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 07:50 AM

Re: To kill a mockingbird bird

Originally Posted by Right Now ->
Also a classic of mine since high school. So many personalities, issues, family life, instincts and emotions to deal with. There is a lot to be acknowledged and learned from Harper Lee's winner. Even the movie is well worth watching.

Ditto, have read it many times.

As far as the school is concerned, instead of educating its pupils to read and think for themselves, it seems to prefer to dictate what they should read and what they should think. What hope have we as a society if we raise young people who are unfamiliar with the processes of studying subjects and applying rational and critical thought to the most important matters in their lives ?
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 09:20 AM

It makes no sense to me. It is such a powerful book, such an important book. With any luck, banning it will have the opposite effect and encourage the school's pupils to seek the book out and read it, just as so many did with Lady Chatterley's Lover in the 60's.

Another example of people looking for something to be offended by
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
You mean there is a sequel? I never knew that - thought it was a one off.
It was until Harper Lee published Go set a Watchmen relatively recently. You can buy both books in one volume now.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 04:00 PM

I thought Go Set A Watchman was a prequel to To Kill A Mockingbird but it was published afterwards making it a sequel.

Here's what Wiki has to say:
Go Set a Watchman is a novel by Harper Lee written before the Pulitzer Prize–winning To Kill a Mockingbird, her first and only other published novel. Although initially promoted as a sequel by its publisher, it is now accepted as being a first draft of To Kill a Mockingbird with many passages being used again. Wikipedia
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I thought Go Set A Watchman was a prequel to To Kill A Mockingbird but it was published afterwards making it a sequel.

Go Set a Watchman is a novel by Harper Lee written before the Pulitzer Prize–winning To Kill a Mockingbird, her first and only other published novel. Although initially promoted as a sequel by its publisher, it is now accepted as being a first draft of To Kill a Mockingbird with many passages being used again. Wikipedia
Originally Posted by Bruce ->
It was until Harper Lee published Go set a Watchmen relatively recently. You can buy both books in one volume now.
Never knew any of that - thank you both very much.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->

I don't know about that but in Go Set a Watchman Scout is in her 20s (26 sticks in my memory) and another characters has died. It is definitely a sequel no matter what its origin.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2021, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->

Another example of people looking for something to be offended by
Agree! If you look hard enough you can be offended by anything. This is very sad. It’s a classic read. Then again the road runner was banned here. The road runner. Maybe the beep beep was offensive . I’m not sure.
I personally think humanity is losing it
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2021, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Agree! If you look hard enough you can be offended by anything. This is very sad. It’s a classic read. Then again the road runner was banned here. The road runner. Maybe the beep beep was offensive . I’m not sure.
You're joking! I used to love the Road Runner and Wily Coyote cartoons!
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2021, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
What the deuce. It was an allegory for the David and Goliath story in the same way that Tom and Jerry and many others were in which the underdog always came out on top.

Wonder what the reasoning was

As for the Mockingbird stuff, although it's perhaps a reasonable concern about how a white man is depicted as a saviour for a black man, one would have thought that this would lead to further discussion of the matter and not really used as a template for how things are meant to be.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top