Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2021, 11:56 PM

How Is Your Fridge Coping With This Hot Weather?

My Electrolux fridge is freezing some of my salad stuff.. cucumber, tomatoes and lettuce. Everything else is feeling extra cold to touch.

I am hoping it’s due to the boiling hot weather and not that it’s on it’s way out.

Is your fridge doing the same thing?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 12:07 AM

Re: How Is Your Fridge Coping With This Hot Weather?

I hadn't thought about that.

All I can say is that the numbers on the front:
fridge 4 degrees, freezer -18 degrees
are the same as they have always been.

I've no idea about how the food is faring, though. That's Marge's department.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 01:34 AM

Tip: If your food is freezing in the chilling compartment, it MAY BE due to an over load of food in the freezer. Try moving vegetables lower in the fridg. Also, an over loaded freezer works much, much harder if over loaded and you elec bill goes up.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
My Electrolux fridge is freezing some of my salad stuff.. cucumber, tomatoes and lettuce. Everything else is feeling extra cold to touch.

I am hoping it’s due to the boiling hot weather and not that it’s on it’s way out.

Is your fridge doing the same thing?
It’s more likely due to having too much stuff in your fridge.
Items need air around them and having too much stuff doesn’t allow that. Our fridge works perfectly fine but not when it’s crowded with too much stuff.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 07:43 AM

I haven't changed the fridge temps at all, during the hot weather and everything is staying as it should be. Maybe its working harder due to the hotness, unless you nudged the thermostat by mistake?
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 08:23 AM

Check that the temperature adjuster inside the fridge hasn't been accidently nudged at some time. I had this problem with a larder fridge and somehow I'd caught the adjuster knob at some time and lowered the internal temperature so low it was frosting items the lower shelves.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 09:11 AM

My fridge is fine although it does run out of drinks faster than it did.

Local supermarket not so lucky though. Two days ago, the refrigeration system failed resulting in £7,500 of food waste.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 09:16 AM

Oh Arty, what a time for your fridge to start playing up.

No, ours is fine so as others have said it looks like yours might have a problem.
Ours is a very tall AEG that could, if needed, quite easily fit me inside it and we make good use of all the space too plus it has an inbuilt fan system to help keep a consistent temperature throughout.
It's not like those American-style jobs with ice-makers, just a normal refrigerator - but taller.

It also has a few settings you can use if - as Bratti suggests - perhaps you were to suddenly overfill it after a large shop for example and need things quickly cooled.

People do sometimes question the need for a large refrigerator in the home, but especially in weather like we have had recently it is invaluable.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 09:35 AM

Is it a fridge freezer? Check the seal on the freezer section - if it's faulty and not sealing the freezer properly then the motor will stay on all the time, working harder to keep everything frozen, and this can cause freezing in the fridge compartment.

Also, if you can pull it out, check the coils at the back - if they're dusty this can have a similar effect, making the motor work harder to keep the temperature in the freezer stable.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 10:20 AM

It is essential for one of the freezer shelves to be kept at an angle for the fridge to work properly. Some people foolishly level them all up

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top