Join for free
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2016, 01:59 PM

Dorset Apple Cake

Lovely as the Irish one sounds, here is the real apple cake (omg -fights in the Food section! Imagine )

I know it says cake in the title, but it is equally as good as a pudding with custard

225g cooking apples, peeled, chopped, but remember to slice some for the top
Juice of ½ lemon
225g plain flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
115g butter, diced
165g dark brown sugar (use 50g of this for the topping)
1 egg beaten
2–3 tablespoons milk
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F (gas mark 4).
Grease and line a 7″, round cake tin.
Toss the apple with the lemon juice and set aside. Sift the flour and baking powder together then rub in the butter, until the mix resembles breadcrumbs.
Stir 115 g of the sugar, the apple and the egg, mix well, adding a little of the milk at a time to make a soft doughy mix.
Transfer into your tin.
In a bowl, mix the 50g of soft brown sugar, sliced apple and cinnamon, arrange on top of the cake mix.
Bake for 45–50 minutes. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack.

(You only need do the sliced apple/decorate top bit if you feel like impressing. For day-to-day eating just make the simple recipe, or double up the ingredients and make it as a traybake - warm with cream or custard for Sunday dessert, and cut the rest as required for 'cake' ... or reheat with a few seconds zapping in the micro and have a pud again)

I 'lifted' the above from this website just to be lazy to save me typing it out. It is the standard recipe and the one I use
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2016, 02:04 PM

Re: Dorset Apple Cake

Another one to try!!
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2016, 07:33 PM

Sounds delicious
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2016, 03:29 PM

It does sound very nice and easy too
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2016, 04:51 PM

We were on holiday in Lyme Regis last year and went into a cafe for (another) cream tea, unfortunately they had sold out!!!!! So instead we had a piece of home made Dorset apple cake, it was soooo nice , I will have to show the recepie to my missus, with a bit of luck she might make it ( stranger things have happened)!
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2016, 05:11 PM

mmm I think i'll come round to your House for supper.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2016, 05:41 PM

Excellent recipe and thanks. My mouths watering now

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top