Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 05:23 PM

Re: How To Cook The Perfect Poached Egg.

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Strewth Purwell, you're posh! The only time I have been introduced to a pheasant is when they fly out in front of us down our country lanes here.
No, I tell a lie. I did once taste pheasant. I was about 25 and had been invited for lunch and dinner with his boss at the time who happened to be a landowner and farmer. During the day as he was showing us around his "country pile" he took us into his large kitchen outhouse where he had a dozen or so pheasants hanging on hooks. I was disgusted to see that they were writhing with maggots!! When I couldn't hide my horror, he just laughed and said that that was the correct way to ripen and tenderise the meat. YUK. Then, when I had to sit down to dinner knowing I would have to eat one of the same I felt quite ill. I even bit down on something hard and was told it was probably a bit of buckshot that the cook must have missed when cleaning it!. Never ever again! I'll stick to my egg on toast.

Oh yeah, nice 'ripe' pheasant and a glass or three of a good Port to wash it down - luverly!!!
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Oh yeah, nice 'ripe' pheasant and a glass or three of a good Port to wash it down - luverly!!!
U.J., you can't be serious. Eat a maggoty pheasant ? I'd rather starve to death. I've heard of, and seen some disgusting "food" in my life but that tops them all for disgusting.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 05:57 PM

Strewth Purwell, you're posh! The only time I have been introduced to a pheasant is when they fly out in front of us down our country lanes here.
No, I tell a lie. I did once taste pheasant. I was about 25 and had been invited for lunch and dinner with his boss at the time who happened to be a landowner and farmer. During the day as he was showing us around his "country pile" he took us into his large kitchen outhouse where he had a dozen or so pheasants hanging on hooks. I was disgusted to see that they were writhing with maggots!! When I couldn't hide my horror, he just laughed and said that that was the correct way to ripen and tenderise the meat. YUK. Then, when I had to sit down to dinner knowing I would have to eat one of the same I felt quite ill. I even bit down on something hard and was told it was probably a bit of buckshot that the cook must have missed when cleaning it!. Never ever again! I'll stick to my egg on toast.
Make it up as you go along don't you.
Nobody eats pheasants when they are blown with maggots.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
U.J., you can't be serious. Eat a maggoty pheasant ? I'd rather starve to death. I've heard of, and seen some disgusting "food" in my life but that tops them all for disgusting.

One does not eat 'maggoty' food, the maggots are merely there to tenderise the meat. Once the feathers are plucked and the bird is 'dressed' for the oven the maggots are removed or destroyed in the cooking in any event.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 06:35 PM

One does not eat 'maggoty' food, the maggots are merely there to tenderise the meat. Once the feathers are plucked and the bird is 'dressed' for the oven the maggots are removed or destroyed in the cooking in any event.
YUCK ! I may not be able to eat for days after hearing that.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 06:49 PM

Strewth Purwell, you're posh!
It sounds like a Dicken's novel doesn't it.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 06:52 PM

Not sure what all this talk about pheasants has to do with the original posted recipe "How To Cook The Perfect Poached Egg."
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Make it up as you go along don't you.
Nobody eats pheasants when they are blown with maggots.
Get away with ya ... both of you are having us on. I bet you eat the wriggling maggots as a delicacy before attacking the rancid stuff. Full of protein aren't they for the health conscious?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Not sure what all this talk about pheasants has to do with the original posted recipe "How To Cook The Perfect Poached Egg."
It was one of the psychoanalytical word association things Mags.
Someone says poached.
Someone thinks poacher
Next one says pheasant.

Like that tongue twister about a pheasant plucker where everyone ends up thinking about sex.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 06:54 PM

I don't like poached eggs much, they make me gag a bit tbh but I don't mind them done in the poacher as described by UJ.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top