Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 01:52 PM

GMO food

In response to the Sandwich thread containing the assertion that GM crops are the same as Hybrid crops, I thought I would ask the general opinion about GMO foodstuff.

Does anyone think it is totally safe ?

There are some horror stories, but are they true ?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 03:18 PM

Re: GMO food

The American company Monsanto can stuff their GM crops and products where the sun don't shine, I won't touch the stuff!!!
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 03:28 PM

Who knows

One thing I do know is I choose to do my best not to eat them
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 04:34 PM

I personally would avoid GM foods at all costs...but I would be interested to know just wether GM foods have found their way into many food stuffs which we arnt aware of.
I wouldnt knowingly consume any food if it was GM
oldal
New Member!
California, USA
oldal is male 

09-08-2018, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
The American company Monsanto can stuff their GM crops and products where the sun don't shine, I won't touch the stuff!!!
ditto
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 04:58 PM

I will not wittingly buy/use GM or Irradiated foods. As I buy fresh and cook from scratch I am - hopefully - safe from them.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I will not wittingly buy/use GM or Irradiated foods. As I buy fresh and cook from scratch I am - hopefully - safe from them.
Fresh food can be GM you know ?
And it seems that processed food containing GM ingredients have to be labelled. HERE
Don't know how prominent the labelling has to be.
oldal
New Member!
California, USA
oldal is male 

09-08-2018, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
There is no way to avoid GMO. There is no rules requiring food be labeled when it contains GMO. Every time labeling comes up Monsanto spends millions lobbying against it. They do this because they know people would avoid GMO if they were informed.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by oldal ->
There is no way to avoid GMO. There is no rules requiring food be labeled when it contains GMO. Every time labeling comes up Monsanto spends millions lobbying against it. They do this because they know people would avoid GMO if they were informed.
Hi

It has to be labelled in Europe.

The problem with GMO is that there are different kinds of genetic modification, they are not all the same yet they are treated as such.

Nothing wrong with using plant genetics in my view, it is when they use bacterial and viral genetics that I think that it is wrong.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2018, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
Fresh food can be GM you know ?
And it seems that processed food containing GM ingredients have to be labelled. HERE
Don't know how prominent the labelling has to be.
The farm shop where I buy my fresh fruit and vegs don't go in for GM foods. So I know I am safe there, Bruv, and I am a compulsive label reader these days. I don't buy 'ready meals' but I do buy tins of various kinds of beans - butter beans, kidney beans etc.,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top