Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 10:38 PM

Re: Need help understanding... Broadband/WiFi please

Yes you connect to hot spots via wifi

Its easier to understand if you think of wifi as WIRE LESS
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Yes you connect to hot spots via wifi

Its easier to understand if you think of wifi as WIRE LESS
Gosh, yes - wire less! Clever girl

I swear I was never this thick
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I bought a wireless printer. PITA.

Wire less....
Doesn't connect by wire
So printer doesn't work?

Am I being thick again? You taking the Michael Dingy?

:
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2018, 09:43 AM

Just remember Pesta, if you pick up a signal from Wi-Fi so can other people in the vicinity....Bank details etc can be intercepted....but with an ethernet cable the signal can not be intercepted. I always contact my bank using my desktop computer that is only connected by ethernet cable, the connection is also more reliable.....x
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2018, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Wire less....
Doesn't connect by wire
So printer doesn't work?

Am I being thick again? You taking the Michael Dingy?

:
These new fangled printers work or don't as the case maybe by talking to the computer wirelessly,much easier to use cables.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

17-08-2018, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
These new fangled printers work or don't as the case maybe by talking to the computer wirelessly,much easier to use cables.

Well I never knew that either caricature. Any printer I've ever had used the cable.
Not had a working printer for years, so not up to speed about those either!

I feel a bit of an old codger, obviously not up with the times
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

17-08-2018, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Just remember Pesta, if you pick up a signal from Wi-Fi so can other people in the vicinity....Bank details etc can be intercepted....but with an ethernet cable the signal can not be intercepted. I always contact my bank using my desktop computer that is only connected by ethernet cable, the connection is also more reliable.....x
Oooh, thanks for the smackeroo FoxyLoxy (x)

Ah, well my bank details are safe (I hope). I don't do online banking
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2018, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I bought a wireless printer. PITA.
Wireless printers are fine, and very convenient BUT . . .

you HAVE to leave them switched on all the time or at the least on standby.

If you switch a wireless printer off then when you switch it back on again it talks to your broadband router which assigns it an IP Address (same as it does for your laptops).

This can often mean that the IP Address the printer gets is different to the one it had previously and that then means your laptop can't connect to it any more.

So to fix that you go into Devices And Printers and into the properties for your printer where you have to tell it what the new IP Address is.

It's all a bit of a PITA as you say but only if you allow that whole situation to happen.

If you leave the printer always switched on or on standby, then it will always keep the same IP Address and thus not be a problem.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

17-08-2018, 02:06 PM

What's PITA?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2018, 02:07 PM

@Pesta

WiFi is simply the method by which a broadband service is broadcast to everyone over the airwaves.

There is always a broadband service behind it all cos that's the actual internet part.

Without WiFi then we would all have to have an actual cable to connect to the broadband router, which is the box we all have into which the phone cable is plugged.

So, if you walk into Costa Coffee you know it has a "WiFi" service.

All that means is that the shop has got a broadband router box (obv connected to broadband via the phone socket) and that broadband service is then broadcast to everyone using WiFi.

Simple talk. Broadband is like a hose pipe, the water is the internet/broadband service. On it's own only one person can connect to the end of the pipe to get water. Stick a sprinkler (WiFi) on the end and the water then gets sprinkled out to everyone.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top