Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 04:02 PM

Re: Is banning serenas cat suit the same as banning the burka?

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
Ok step by step - can you give an example 'in sport' where another color other than white would be more appropriate? OR should 'white' always be the dominant color?

Rugby - the New Zealand 'All Blacks' ???
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
Ok step by step - can you give an example 'in sport' where another color other than white would be more appropriate? OR should 'white' always be the dominant color?
Ahhh ... the 3rd degree eh!

It has been white dress code at Wimbledon for years. My point is that other countries wear many different colours and I think players wearing the same colour (not necessary the same style) looks neater.

Finally, I think white dress/shorts looks better than black for summer tennis.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 05:10 PM

the british empire used to be for years too - but it finally had to come down??

Serena is a 'black skinned' woman who it would seem prefers to use black? I can see no impediment myself for the actual game of tennis ; it's skills and nuances for the ability of players to use whatever color they prefer apart from this uniformity of the British and others to have strict codes of practice with in this case 'white' being the dominant and preferred color.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 06:18 PM

You really are bored Gummy take up ballroom dancing or something .
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 08:49 PM

I do like cricket "whites" they're usually cream though, shame they're getting more colourful.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
It is my experience that women wear pretty much whatever they darn well please. There are limits, however. Especially in a national showcase.
Imagine if men decided to wear cod-pieces.
New Balls.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 09:11 PM

Folks who used to love tradition are now knocking it, maybe they have been got at by the AI.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 09:41 PM

'Rules is rules' Gumbud, without rules we have chaos.....
If you want to play tennis on the world stage you must abide the rules of the game, otherwise, what next?

Sooner or later examples have to be made of people who push the boundaries of what is acceptable or fair in sport. What better example than someone who is at the top of their game?

Advertising is not allowed at Wimbledon, or the French Open, and this was a clear advertising opportunity by Nike......Look what's happened to football since advertising took over....It's more about the money than the sport...
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 10:43 PM

What if it was white? Would that be ok? As a ancient aging athlete, I saw this a little differently.

The first thing I thought was that Serena was either running the risk of blood clots or needed the compression tights to support her knees and shoulders. I don't think this cat suit is about the looks, but either to prevent or recover from some injury or condition. It's tamer than some of the other outfits she's worn in the past.

When it comes down to it, players need to respect decorum, but it's equally important that they wear uniforms that maximize their ability to perform and minimize injury, chafing, etc. Perhaps the compromise is a white skirt over white compression tights?

Pretty, but not fun returning a 120 MPH serve in this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tennis .jpg
Views:	109
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	6945

gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
'Rules is rules' Gumbud, without rules we have chaos.....
If you want to play tennis on the world stage you must abide the rules of the game, otherwise, what next?

Sooner or later examples have to be made of people who push the boundaries of what is acceptable or fair in sport. What better example than someone who is at the top of their game?

Advertising is not allowed at Wimbledon, or the French Open, and this was a clear advertising opportunity by Nike......Look what's happened to football since advertising took over....It's more about the money than the sport...
and the Olympic Games committee you might like to comment on - what was fair there ?? standards OGF standards?

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top