Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2018, 08:47 PM

Re: A thank you to Nom!

I keep finding one half of white shells in my garden, which l thought might be pigeons?
I am not sure if a pigeon has hatched out of it, or a magpie has stolen the egg?

Twink, Do you still chat to the pigeon family? Don’t hit me for twitting on you!!

Nom... Lovely pics, razor sharp images.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I keep finding one half of white shells in my garden, which l thought might be pigeons?
I am not sure if a pigeon has hatched out of it, or a magpie has stolen the egg?

Twink, Do you still chat to the pigeon family? Don’t hit me for twitting on you!!

Nom... Lovely pics, razor sharp images.
Of course I do! That is why I now give Mrs Pigeon & the baby Percy Pigeon different names ( They are not very good at understanding who I am talking to )
When I go out and clap my hands at any magpie, who is in the same tree, Mrs never seems alarmed & Percy snuggles under her chest..... I wonder if they realize that I would do no harm to them?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 08:29 AM

Update on my baby pigeon

Percy pigeon is growing and looking better every time I see him.... but I am beginning to feel like an over protective grandma!

Apart from one brief occasion his mum has been with him every time I looked....until yesterday afternoon. Around 4pm he was alone in the nest so, just before it went dark, I checked again and she still wasn't there. When I got up this morning, I checked again and she still wasn't there , so I was worried that something had happened to her. At 7.30 she still hadn't arrived so I decided that I would call RSPB for advice when they opened at 9am.
Percy seemed ok and was stretching his wings & preening himself, so he appeared to be safe.
At 8am I looked again , and was delighted to see that his mum was back & feeding him.
Now , at 8.25 his dad has arrived too.... but I don't think I am going to happy till I see them all leave the nest safely.... because I was daft enough to become caring about these birds, who have worked so hard to create their little family.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 10:04 AM

Glad for you Twink, its part of the weaning process to get Percy to fledge (Fly), Also mum and dad may want to try again for another nest. They can and will breed all year round.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 10:06 AM

I think it's lovely that you are looking out for them Twinkles, they all seem to be doing well which is great. Just cut Mum a little slack, she was probably on a hen night or something.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

12-09-2018, 11:09 AM

Nom
Thanks, it is good to understand why they leave him, and they will need to get him out of that nest soon as it is so small.
I am hoping that she will not be so keen to have any more too soon, it is wearing me out looking after them!

Wow he has just stood up in the nest and has been flapping his wings . I am so glad I have you to advise me Nom!

LD
She is not allowed to go on any more hen nights, till she chooses a partner who is better at nest building!
To be fair though, they have been good parents so I hope their baby survives.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

19-09-2018, 06:56 PM

Ok just so you all know how mad I am with animals....baby Percy Pigeon has been left on his own a lot over the past few days, so as I hadn't seen his mum I kept going out to make sure he was ok. I talked to him gently and he started to move his head, as though he was listening to my voice.

The weather has been very windy today, so at lunchtime I saw his mum come to feed him ( I assume she was keen to get him to fly down). When I went out to check on him around 6pm, he had managed to get on to a lower branch so I talked to him. While I was there he fluttered down to a lower branch so I came indoors in the hope that his mum would come. There were no other animals or birds in the garden, but when I looked away for a couple of mins, I heard no noise but he had gone.

I searched the garden and found him about 14' high in my conifers... where I hope he will be more sheltered from the wind and rain.So he can fly I just hope his mum will find him soon.
Thanks Nom, you have really been a help to me, with this!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2018, 07:10 PM

Fantastic News Twink.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2018, 07:13 PM

Good news Twink
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

22-09-2018, 08:44 AM

Just a note for anyone who may be interested. Percy Pigeon, the baby, Came back to visit this morning, around 6.30. He was all alone so I rushed out with the bird food, in case he was hungry.
He is looking good!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top