Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 12:00 AM

how arguing more will make you smarter

I always knew I was right and the rest were wrong!

I'm right and your wrong!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 12:12 AM

Re: how arguing more will make you smarter

Not arguing, but debating. A decent debate can very educational. It's only when people get personal that it becomes a waste of time.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Not arguing, but debating. A decent debate can very educational. It's only when people get personal that it becomes a waste of time.
Agreed..
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 02:20 AM

Oh very much so, Annie. I've learned so much from just chatting in the pub to my mates about all sorts going on in the world, recently and in past history.
I don't learn anything from my workmates as they're mostly all idiots, sadly.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Well said !
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 07:15 AM

not well said at all - did any of your flouncies bother to read the article from beginning to end or just brows around in your usually lazy manner - the article and research associated is not talking about debating but arguing - there is a difference if you haven't notice - annies is trying to dress up a flake to look like a flounder!!

Science is a structure that is intended to permit disagreement,” says Firestein. “I can remember going to meetings with people yelling at each other, but then they’d go to the bar and drink, and that’s the way it’s supposed to work. There’s a relationship of respect in spite of how much you disagree with somebody.”

“Bias and dogmatism and stubbornness” are fuel for forging better ideas, says author Jonathan Rauch. “You don’t want people to walk into the room not feeling strongly convinced of things. All you want is that they submit their views to checking by other people. Then you harness the energy of their certainty, and their biases, and their disagreements.”

That’s why I’m arguing that you owe it to yourself, the people you work with, and society at large, to get into a good argument at least once a day. And by ‘good’, I mean both rigorous and respectful. As Gallo says, “Disagreement does not have to be unkind. It does not have to be mean. You can do it with empathy, compassion and kindness.”

these are quotes from the article - this is all about robust argument which is healthier than just debating - but if the ladies wish to simple debate who am I to disturb them?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 07:23 AM

"That’s why I’m arguing that you owe it to yourself, the people you work with, and society at large, to get into a good argument at least once a day. And by ‘good’, I mean both rigorous and respectful. As Gallo says, “Disagreement does not have to be unkind. It does not have to be mean. You can do it with empathy, compassion and kindness.

Perhaps you should practice what they preach Gummy
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

07-09-2018, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
"That’s why I’m arguing that you owe it to yourself, the people you work with, and society at large, to get into a good argument at least once a day. And by ‘good’, I mean both rigorous and respectful. As Gallo says, “Disagreement does not have to be unkind. It does not have to be mean. You can do it with empathy, compassion and kindness.

Perhaps you should practice what they preach Gummy
but I do twinkle toes - I do - and I love your twinkle toes - in fact I feel very compassionate about them - remember that comment about us both being in cheshire at the same time approx - could I ask you two questions which will verify whether we ever met? - this is honest debate!
'
1. what was your fathers occupation and
2 did your mother live at home with you too?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
but I do twinkle toes - I do - and I love your twinkle toes - in fact I feel very compassionate about them - remember that comment about us both being in cheshire at the same time approx - could I ask you two questions which will verify whether we ever met? - this is honest debate!
'
1. what was your fathers occupation and
2 did your mother live at home with you too?
Well I am fairly certain that we have never met, but just to please you.....

1. My father was a foreman engineer for Ferranti.
2. My mother always lived at home with us.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

07-09-2018, 08:43 AM

close but not close enough - we never knowingly met.

I knew a girl whose father owned an iron foundry and her mother was in a long term psychiatric placement - sad really! but we walked a few cheshire canal banks in our days - where did they all go to? [the days that is not the canals!]

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top