Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 02:40 PM

Re: Last night of the proms

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
A lot of people who buy tickets for Circle seats don't realise how high it is.
I went once with a friend and at the interval she felt quite unwell because if the height, and we asked the girl on the door if we could sit somewhere else. She was lovely, called someone on her phone and along he came with a fist full of returns!
We sat (at no extra cost) in seats alongside the choir, brilliant.

The girl told us of one woman who, when she saw how high it was as she went through the opening, almost fainted.
They literally had to peel her off the wall!
It's the feeling of nothing below you. We went to see McEnroe play and I had a front seat in the box. I really did think I was going to pass out, my hands were sweating and I really did feel ill. When the tennis started though, I forgot about it and enjoyed the game.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Devo ->
I watch TLNOTP every year and did last night burt I think that will be iut for the future. It is not the music, however predictable, that will always be worth listening to. It is the totally unspontaneous, same old, same old 'funny' antics by some of the promenaders. Ooh! Let's blow a hooter, that will be funny and original, won't it? Let's do this, do that, exactly as it is always done, everyone will laugh because they have been schooled to not because they still find it funny, surely???
I find it all so tiresome, predictable and along with the pseudopatriotic, manufactured fervour, recalling a past that never existed, I think I will give it a miss in future.
Thank goodness we all view things so differently.

Seeing people taking part and enjoying themselves is all part of the experience of the Proms and I for one would not like to see that disappear no matter how old hat it comes across to some, including yourself.

For the sake of cameras some Prommers may have been asked if they wanted to bob up and down but many did and they sure as heck enjoyed themselves whilst doing so

From 2017
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Devo ->
I find it all so tiresome, predictable and along with the pseudopatriotic, manufactured fervour, recalling a past that never existed,
Could you describe for me aspects of Britain's past that are celebrated at the Last Night of the Proms and that you believe never actually existed?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 12:46 PM

Just watched my recording of the Last Night of The Proms.

Was amazed, and delighted, when they got to rousing finale, as the Male Soloist Revealed, firstly, a huge Union Jack &, then, a Canadian Flag.

The whole thing had a great feeling of Britishness about it.

Land Of Hope And Glory - Wow!

Well done the BBC!

Anyone else impressed?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top