Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 08:26 PM

Re: When the time comes

Mine too
Oh booooo
Thanks Primus
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Yes I know what you mean, but it’s not a decision taken lightly, in our case our cat had a tumour in her mouth and couldn’t eat properly, but you do your best for them and it’s part of being a responsible pet owner, to make that decision ( with the vets advice of course) to let them go, I’m sure all on here love and look after their pets, and when the time comes to not let them suffer.
That's true. I stayed with my cat till the end and I asked the vet if it was done. she said yes, so I managed to say send me the bill then had to run out.

I can still get upset about it now (six years later) if I think too much.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 08:38 PM

My daughter sobbed buckets when her hamster, Zebedee, was put to sleep. She was 11 I think. I didn't cry but was incredibly sad to see the wee thing go. Such a side splitting character he was .
It was a surgery I'd never used before, and they gave my daughter a beautiful poem. I think they gave all 'children' the poem who had to lose their pets, which I thought was really lovely.

As for my gorgeous dog, she loved the vets, was always excited to go there but when she had to be put to sleep after being very poorly, she winced when the needle went it. The only time ever in her 10yrs that happened. She knew. Both my daughter (she was about 5 I think) and I cuddled her while she went to sleep. I cried for so long I thought I'd never stop...I bubbled up for years, even now I'm filling up.

I will admit that I couldn't go in the room when I took my 15yr old canary to be put to sleep, but I told him to treat him with respect, to do it gently (I shudder thinking about how he did it) and to give him me back wrapped in the material I gave him.
He'd had a stroke, couldn't stay on the perch, couldn't have his daily bath, which he loved, nor reach his beloved wet lettuce. So when I drove to the vets with him in his cage I laid him on the floor on a huge piece of lettuce, all crisp and damp, which he nibbled as I drove. (It was summer and hot I hasten to add). He was happy.
I cried buckets for him too.

All our other pets, died naturally, which was sad but better than the alternative.

It rips you apart doesn't it?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 09:26 PM

I'm afraid I made the dreadful mistake of posting this in the wrong thread and, of course, have deleted it immediately.

I can't read the whole of this thread as our Poppy was put down just a little over a year ago, and his passing is still fresh in my memory.

We couldn't possibly leave him with the vet, and we both stayed with him as the injection was given.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 09:48 PM

I have been the one to take my last 3 dogs to be put to sleep & always stayed with them. As our last dog was being prepared for his final injection,myself beside him,.he looked round for my son,once my son called to him he settled down & peacefully went to sleep
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 10:01 PM

I stayed with both my cats when they were put to sleep. Cassie, my last cat was laying on her fleece blanket when the final injection was given and I was stroking her head throughout. My son was with me supporting me and if it wasn't for his arm around my shoulder, I would have broken down.

After she had gone, the vet left us in the room to say our final goodbyes to her, then the tears flowed
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 11:07 PM

Without being polemic nor crass, I hope you take it in the spirit in which it's intended when I offer my prayers for all of you who have lost a pet. Indeed, god bless, x
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 12:23 AM

I wouldn't dream of leaving any animal of mine to die on their own, or just with strangers holding them.
How would we feel if our loved ones cleared off and left us alone at such a time?

Gosh, if they don't need you at a time like that - when would they!

It is an indescrible hurt I know, but I have to put that to one side to see to them first.
I can fall apart afterwards.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 07:02 AM

My last little pal put to sleep was penny...she died of mouth cancer too Primus . It was a shock when the vet told me the kindest thing was to let her go...truly I thought she just had a bad tooth. I still feel so guilty that I didn't appreciate how poorly she was.

She was a darling cat ...such a sweetheart. I couldn't possibly have left her to die alone, it was a very sad day.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top