Join for free
Sage
U. S.
Sage is female  Sage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 04:50 PM

The EU has approved a copyright law that could change the internet as we know it

This is an important step to curtail the abuse of power by large corporations such as Google and Amazon who think they can steal the intellectual properties of others.

https://qz.com/1387466/article-11-an...-the-internet/
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 04:58 PM

Re: The EU has approved a copyright law that could change the internet as we know it

Article 13 is all a bit too vague at the moment but I am sure by the time the EU has finished with it, it will benefit them and not us .
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 05:10 PM

Re: The EU has approved a copyright law that could change the internet as we know it

Everything is about making money. I suppose if someone has gone to the trouble of and time preparing something for the net, why should it be then be deemed 'free of charge' to all and sundry.
Novelists and songwriters have their work copywrited, so why not?
Sage
U. S.
Sage is female  Sage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 05:55 PM

I am a novelist and a writer of creative nonfiction. If they steal my stuff, there is no way I have the resources to fight them in court. They can just take it when they want. This has to stop. I did not write my books so that someone else could steal it and claim it for their own. Some independent writers go through Amazon when they publish their works. I don't. I know what Amazon is trying to do - take it all. Bezo, the owner, is a thief. He makes billions, but he does not even pay most of his workers enough to live on.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 07:39 PM

I used to have a really good website for my family history - huge amounts of information, photographs, documents, details of births, baptisms, marriages, deaths, entries in census, emigration, school reports...........in short, every documented report I could find on numerous generations.
A woman in Toronto found the website and claimed kinship with an ancestor. She copied her mails to a fellow relative. I said I was happy to share information on that specific ancestor and the next thing I knew they had taken every single piece of information that I had in the website. They even asked about my children and included me, my children, my parents.........it was an exercise in how many individuals can you have in your family tree, rather than how good the information is. Typical ignorance! One of those Canadian individuals is a librarian............
Every page of my website had "copyright protected - DO NOT COPY"!
Ignorance, bad manners.............I could go on! They then put ALL this information on public trees on Ancestry with a message "willing to share"!
WTF???
Sage
U. S.

14-09-2018, 10:21 PM

Lindyloo,

That had to be really frustrating for you. My husband and I have a website as well, and it is copyrighted. Copies of my paintings have been stolen and posted on people's Facebook pages and other social media sites without giving me credit or asking permission. My husband's photography has also been stolen.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Sage ->
Lindyloo,

That had to be really frustrating for you. My husband and I have a website as well, and it is copyrighted. Copies of my paintings have been stolen and posted on people's Facebook pages and other social media sites without giving me credit or asking permission. My husband's photography has also been stolen.
The US is very hot on intellectual property rights I would have thought there would be a relatively easy way for you to take action against them!
Sage
U. S.

15-09-2018, 03:56 AM

It takes money to pursue something in court. Big corporations have big pockets. Attorneys are outrageously expensive. And the corporations usually win, unless there's a class action suit.

Actually the U.S. is under the control of the corporations at this time.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

15-09-2018, 07:29 AM

So corporate legal protection but nothing for the ordinary citizen! Sounds about right!
Sage
U. S.

15-09-2018, 04:50 PM

"He who had the gold makes the rules." A lot of our politicians are owned by the corporations because of the contributions to their campaigns. Since Trump has been in office the Republican party, which is now in charge, passed legislation giving the corporations and the wealthy massive tax cuts. These cuts are permanent. They plan to pass another cut as quickly as they can before they are voted out of office in November. To pacify their base they passed minimal tax cuts for the rest of everyone, but those expire in a short time. Most people saw very little if any money from those cuts. These politicians are liars who are shredding what this country is about. I could go on, but this is not the political section of this forum.

If in US dollars you make fifteen dollars an hour and your attorney charges two hundred fifty to a thousand dollars an hour or more, there is no way you can fight them.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top