Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 11:42 AM

Faber Castell polychromos

Has anyone any experience of these colour pencils, i ve often seen them put forward as the best colour pencils.

Im thinking of getting back into drawing for the winter, and i have been criticized for not being heavier in my pencil strokes.

Also what paper type and weight is best for drawing, and finally i like pen and ink drawing with a watercolour wash, again what paper do you recommend. Im aiming for a loose sketch book style, alike this by Eric Daglish.

regards nom
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 12:11 PM

Re: Faber Castell polychromos

Nom
I too love to spend hours drawing
I find it very cathartic
When I order sketchbooks in bulk for students I use the Pink Pig Sketchbook Co. in Huddersfield
They have a huge range of styles and sizes and paper colours and weights now. Even the 170gm paper takes everything we throw at it in school
They also sell Bockingford watercolour paper books if you prefer paper with more "tooth"

I'm not sure on the pencils Nom
I go for softer leads as blending is easier
Watercolour pencils are a lovely medium used both wet and dry. Stick with a well known make but don't buy them in WHSmiths!!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 12:17 PM

Glad your getting back into drawing Nom.

I don't have that make of pencil so I'll be interested to read any replies. I have Derwent and some cheap ones.
I usually used water soluble pencils (or ink for hard lines) on a watercolour wash background so I could blend them with water, if that makes sense. Not that I was ever very good with watercolours, they're difficult imo.

Looking forwards to seeing your results, I'm sure they will be wonderful.

Edited to add I have Seawhite of Brighton Sketchbook, 140gsm cartridge paper, very nice for sketching and watercolour, acrylics, acid free. it has a matt surface. Not sure where I bought it though.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 01:17 PM

Good idea for the winter months when it is not so easy to get out Nom.
When you get your new pencils, you could do a nice picture of my Beddies for me for Christmas.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 05:19 PM

When I was painting quite a bit, I used to use watercolour board for ink and wash paintings as it doesn't curl like the paper. It can work out expensive though and of course paper can always be taped to a flat surface.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 11:50 PM

Nom

Faber Castell polychromos are waterproof and very good for drawing
You can also by Watercolour pencils to draw with and then blend with water.

I can recommend 'GreatArt OnLine Artists materials', as they have all manufacturers Art materials at discount and pages of Paper for Art with all specifications.
They will send you a catalogue.

Any paper under 140lb will buckle when wet if not stretched

For practice you can use any drawing pads.

Good Luck

solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 12:02 PM

Nom it may be worth you trying these W H SMiths coloured pencils. Having tried a number of expensive ones When travelling I now prefer them.

The colour has a good depth and range of colour especially with the 36 box, easy on any type of paper, good for blending and sharpen well with no breakage. Often more expensive ones dont sharpen well as can be waxy. At the price you can't go wrong either

https://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/w...of-36/24028318

Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 02:13 PM

Thanks all for the replies, i mainly use derwant pencils, colorsoft, inktense, and watercolour also have some others, i think i will try to by half a dozen of the prisma colours bought as separates.

Also need to by some quality paper, Bockingford fits the bill, both sites mentioned are bookmarked.

I wont be stating until November as the next six weeks will be devoted to wildlife and photography.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 03:31 PM

I tried drawing a bird yesterday for my "seaside" themed room. It didn't turn out well, need more practice!
I need to find a nice gull to draw, they should be easier, just black white and grey right?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

18-09-2018, 03:40 PM

Mostly yes, apart from bare parts and eyes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top