Join for free
Page 13 of 43 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2016, 03:08 PM

Re: And Still They Try To Thwart Democracy!!

@Flicker

I shall ask again

Do you accept that parliament can not legally change the constitution without consent of the populous? yes or no?
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2016, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Parliament gave us the opportunity of a Referendum, the purest form of Democracy, one elector, one vote.

It is not up to Parliament to rescind that because they do not like the result.

It matters nothing if it was 4%, as you claim, or if it was 1 single vote.

We have voted to leave the EU in it's present form.

That is Democracy in action, something very dear to my heart.

Our Prime Minister has already stated that Parliament will be given a vote on the exact terms of exit.

If the EU reforms itself to revert to what it was originally, a simple Free Trade area without Tariffs, without any external interference by people I did not vote for and have no chance of voting for, then fine by me.

I would vote to join a simple Free Trade Area.

That is what Brexit is about, w are wanting to make Free Trade Areas across the World without the Political Interference from others.

I will not be voting to continue to be controlled by a Political Elite, specifically Merkel and Junckers, who consider that they have the Divine Right to impose their wishes on others.

I do not like Dictatorships, in any way, shape or form.

I do not like Megalomaniacs who consider that they know best and we should follow like sheep.

Democracy is very simple, we are all equal
Oh dear, your Civics teacher should be shot if this is what he taught you.

The last truly direct democracy was in Ancient Greece. Wherever there is a sitting parliament (or whatever name you give to a body of decision makers) you have a Representative Democracy. You hand your own vote to another who makes the decisions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representative_democracy

As for the highlighted bit, I have already pointed out that every piece of EU legislation was adopted into the UK statute books AFTER IT WAS SCRUTINISED BY THE DEMOCRATICALLY ELECTED MEMBERS OF THE HOUSE AND LORDS. Sometimes it was nodded through, sometimes it was put to a vote.
NOTHING from the EU was imposed. EVERYTHING was approved by your elected MP's. Democratically.
Every person in the EU except the Commission (who has not voting rights) is elected by someone. and every MEP, every member of the Council (28 duly elected PM's)has equal voice in raising, debating and voting for legislation.
How else do you make decisions between 28 countries?? You can't have half a billion private citizen going to the polls every day to cast a direct vote!

Never mind what the press says...one paper has been propagandising for over 40 year and telling the public only what it wants you to know. Look up the information yourself...any of the Europa sites will tell you. They are PURELY information.

I do find it a disgrace that these things are not taught in school.
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2016, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
@Flicker

I shall ask again

Do you accept that parliament can not legally change the constitution without consent of the populous? yes or no?
I think I am right in saying that the MP's speak for the people.
And that to change the constitution you have to have the approval of the judiciary but I am not clear on that.

In effect "changing the constitution" is in reality a process of repealing and replacing legislation.
This is what Parliament does. I do not think that every case brought before the judiciary and which is potentially changing the constitution needs the approval of direct democracy.
For example David Steele's abortion legislation was a big change in the constitution touching on human rights and the meaning of how a living person is defined but it was not voted on by the people directly.
Flicker
France

14-11-2016, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I think you said it all there Swimmy.
When will those, who oppose the Brexit vote, understand what that vote was about. We all knew there would be some difficult financial times, but we were all prepared to accept that, in order to control our own country.
I wouldn't be so hasty s to suggest that those who voted to remain didn't know what the vote was about.

It was merely that they disagreed with you. And majority decisions do not mean they are right. Just that a lot more people got it wrong than right in the end.

and it might well mean that they knew better than others what it meant. or that they had other priorities. or could see further into the distance to the ultimate consequences. Or that they understood the EU better than the Leavers did.

That "controlling your own country" is exactly what you already do except your own migrant intake which was an important part of the original treaty of accession the country signed in 1972. That has never changed. The UK has.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2016, 03:43 PM

Hi

A response to Flicker.

I have posted the direct links to the EU Website which explains Article 50.

My views in no way contradict their opinion.

If no agreement is reached in two years following a Notification under Article 50, then the the State wishing to leave, automatically leaves.

We, the voters of the Uk were given the opportunity of voting in a free Referendum to stay or leave.

We voted to leave, rightly or wrongly.

The legislation granting the Referendum was voted through in Parliament.

Parliament as such voted for the right of the people to make a decision.

The decision was made and must be respected.

The fact that Parliament made a procedural error in the wording of the Act is unfortunate.

If any Political Party did not agree, they should have voted against the people having the final decision.

The Referendum was passed by Parliament, our elected representatives.

The outcome of the vote must be respected.

It is a very simple matter for Parliament to rectify this procedural error.

Anything else would be a total betrayal of our Democratic System.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2016, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Flicker ->
I wouldn't be so hasty s to suggest that those who voted to remain didn't know what the vote was about.

It was merely that they disagreed with you. And majority decisions do not mean they are right. Just that a lot more people got it wrong than right in the end.

and it might well mean that they knew better than others what it meant. or that they had other priorities. or could see further into the distance to the ultimate consequences. Or that they understood the EU better than the Leavers did.

That "controlling your own country" is exactly what you already do except your own migrant intake which was an important part of the original treaty of accession the country signed in 1972. That has never changed. The UK has.
Well they certainly didn't know what the leave vote was about! I am pleased to say that I consider all the alternatives before making such a serious decision.
If you actually believe that Britain would have been in total control of it's own country, by voting remain, I would suggest that you try listening to the many news reports that believe we will be expected to form a European military force, in the future. Try listening to the members of the European Commission, who believe that we should open our borders to more Muslim immigrants ( we have all seen what a disaster happened in Germany when Merkel did that!).
We don't have a majority vote when the EU want to change the rules, so how can we possibly control our own country and it's activities. I believe the long term intention is to make Europe one large country with many smaller countries becoming states.
We were all coaxed in by the common market idea, but things have changed a lot since then and I don't want to live in a country that will become one of the States of Europe..... I have seen the disastrous results of politics in the USA. I am just happy that the majority of voters thought as I did.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2016, 06:06 PM

In effect "changing the constitution" is in reality a process of repealing and replacing legislation. This is what Parliament does. I do not think that every case brought before the judiciary and which is potentially changing the constitution needs the approval of direct democracy.
Agreed not every case need have a referendum however "significant" changes to the constitution very much should involve public consent.

Whilst the definition of the constitution is not fully compiled or encoded, the heart of that constitution is well known and understood and has been for centuries.

Various parliamentary committees have frequently referred to a checklist drawn up by Professor Sir John Baker which, while neither exhaustive nor closed, represents “a useful guide to the principal measures which would fall under the rubric of significant constitutional change.”

The list was as follows:

- any alteration to the structure and composition of Parliament;

- any alteration to the powers of Parliament, or any transfer of power, as by devolution or international treaty, which would in practice be difficult to reverse;

- any alteration to the succession to the Crown or the functions of the monarch;

- any substantial alteration to the balance of power between Parliament and government, including the conferment of unduly broad or ill-defined powers to legislate by order;

- any substantial alteration to the balance of power between central government and local authorities;

- any substantial alteration to the establishment and jurisdiction of the courts of law, including any measure that would place the exercise of power beyond the purview of the courts, or which would affect the independence of the judiciary;

- any substantial alteration to the establishment of the Church of England;

- any substantial alteration to the liberties of the subject, including the right to habeas corpus and trial by jury.

I believe it can be clearly shown that most, if not all, of the above "significant constitutional changes" have been undertaken by the implementation of the 5 EU Treaties.

The public has not been consulted on any of those changes, not given a vote, a referendum or a choice. Parliament and indeed the Monarchy, is there to uphold the law and customs of this country.

Allowing such constitutional changes to be made piecemeal, by stealth, and without public consultation and consent, is wrong in the extreme and quite probably an act of treason.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2016, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
@Flicker

I shall ask again

I think I am right in saying that the MP's speak for the people.
And that to change the constitution you have to have the approval of the judiciary but I am not clear on that.

In effect "changing the constitution" is in reality a process of repealing and replacing legislation.
This is what Parliament does. I do not think that every case brought before the judiciary and which is potentially changing the constitution needs the approval of direct democracy.
For example David Steele's abortion legislation was a big change in the constitution touching on human rights and the meaning of how a living person is defined but it was not voted on by the people directly.

Was that a 'yes' or a 'no'?
I can't decide!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2016, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by twink55 ->
well they certainly didn't know what the leave vote was about! I am pleased to say that i consider all the alternatives before making such a serious decision.
If you actually believe that britain would have been in total control of it's own country, by voting remain, i would suggest that you try listening to the many news reports that believe we will be expected to form a european military force, in the future. Try listening to the members of the european commission, who believe that we should open our borders to more muslim immigrants ( we have all seen what a disaster happened in germany when merkel did that!).
We don't have a majority vote when the eu want to change the rules, so how can we possibly control our own country and it's activities. I believe the long term intention is to make europe one large country with many smaller countries becoming states.
We were all coaxed in by the common market idea, but things have changed a lot since then and i don't want to live in a country that will become one of the states of europe..... I have seen the disastrous results of politics in the usa. I am just happy that the majority of voters thought as i did.
Flicker
France

15-11-2016, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

Was that a 'yes' or a 'no'?
I can't decide!
I don't know what you mean by "consent of the populous".

If you mean direct consent, then no.
If you mean indirect consent via MP's as is the constitutional case, then yes the vote must pass through the Parliament s does ever other change in law.

So since your question is unclear that is the best answer I can give.

I refer you to the abortion legislation. The two houses voted on it AS YOUR REPRESENTATIVES. That is how the UK works.

Page 13 of 43 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top