Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2013, 12:52 PM

Re: Beholden to the Chinese

Originally Posted by sue_arnold ->
But you do get it.

We have to TRY to increase trade no matter with whom and we are not BEHOLDEN to any other country if we try to do this.
'Beholden' - thats the way our reps came across, no big deal tho' - keep them knickers straight ......
Lifemask
New Member!
Devon
Lifemask is female 

21-10-2013, 03:20 PM

As someone who will be living practically next door to Hinkley Point I do despair! What a legacy to leave our grandchildren!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2013, 03:28 PM

Well if we leave them with light and heat I will feel we haven't done so badly perhaps they will figure it all out better than we did in the future.
Lifemask
New Member!
Devon
Lifemask is female 

21-10-2013, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Well if we leave them with light and heat I will feel we haven't done so badly perhaps they will figure it all out better than we did in the future.
Light and heat and lots and lots of radioactive material which will not become safe for thousands of years. There is also already a cancer cluster around that coastal area, as there is around all the nuclear power stations.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2013, 04:22 PM

Well I am open to other more effective ways but until we find them we would seem to be best using nuclear fuel. We either do that or stop using electric and I can't see our grandchildren thanking us for that legacy.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2013, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lifemask ->
Light and heat and lots and lots of radioactive material which will not become safe for thousands of years. There is also already a cancer cluster around that coastal area, as there is around all the nuclear power stations.
I am absolutely with you there Lifemask (and welcome to the forum by the way ). It is utter folly to go down the nuclear route until they've actually perfected the use of it; why do they always have to firefight - give it some thought first then they won't have to. I feel so sorry for our children having to solve that problem and I fear they won't be able to.

The Isle of Man is cursed as a cancer pocket thanks to Sellafield.
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2013, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Since the Chinese Know nothing about our 'elf & Safety laws, I have my doubts, but then again, I wouldn't want a new nuclear power station anywhere in the UK, having campaigned vehemently against the use of nuclear power (and weapons) over many, many years.
Even if China sent over their work force they would still have to stick to the H/S laws of this country.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2013, 12:50 PM

What about, wind, solar and wave power?

I saw China on the news this morning...years and years behind us, with horrendous smog.

If nuclear is so wonderful, why are China not building nuclear power stations by the hundred and getting rid of their antiquated power stations?

Nuclear isn't safe, are we forgetting Japan, still in trouble with nuclear leaks?
Does anyone remember when nuclear power stations first started - 'it will be so cheap, you probably won't even have to pay for electricity!'
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote Janela ..... [IMG]Does anyone remember when nuclear power stations first started - 'it will be so cheap, you probably won't even have to pay for electricity!'[/IMG]

They always use that line - hoping it will shut us up !
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2013, 12:07 PM

There is nothing wrong with China, a massive, growing middle class, an ageing population. Insatiable need for employment and trade. The opportunities are vast, plenty of work there too, I know a number of people who have worked there for really good pay (don't bother going to teach English however)

Over burdened with males - get your granddaughters to learn Mandarin so they can marry a rich Chinese and keep you, as a venerated ancestor, in a style to which you could become accustomed.

PLAN Qingdao in Sydney Harbour for the Fleet Review

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top