Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
tootsweet
Chatterbox
Sydney, Australia
tootsweet is female  tootsweet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 11:01 PM

Re: Vatican says Bishops don't have to report child abuse

I just don't get it, last I heard the Pope said he was going to do everything in his power to fix the problem, and now this, it doesn't make sense.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 12:28 AM

If a child complains of child abuse surely it is for its parents to report it to the police ?
tina
Lincolnshire
tina is female  tina has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 02:37 AM

This is absurd how can they say they are men of God and then not report child abuse.if they have proof then they must involve the police to stop it happening to another child if they only suspect then it must be reported to the authorities so it can be investigated.
tootsweet
Chatterbox
Sydney, Australia
tootsweet is female  tootsweet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 02:39 AM

What if a child was being abused and the parents didn't know but the perpetrator had already confessed to his bishop?

Children have a tendency to be confused and often keep sexual abuse secret from their parents.

Letting the bishop off the hook is not helping IMO.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 04:43 AM

It would depend on if the Bishop knew if he didn't know how could he report anything?
Its not likely that anyone would confess to child abuse.
Most child abusers don't think that they are child abusers.

In view of the Popes directive it seems very strange .
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 07:07 AM

And there are those who would comdemn me for not having religion....
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 08:26 AM

Is he scared of his own bishops?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 10:15 AM

The catholic church has always had the cloak of 'confession' to help it to turn a blind to almost anything. Confess to your priest, say a few hail marys and all is forgiven.

I knew a woman who said if the congregation did not produce catholic babies fast enough her parish priest wanted to know why and was willing to assist personally if needed.

My friend was 'abused' by the local C of E Bishop from being tiny and in front of her parents.
They were a wealthy family and the Bishop regularly came to tea and he would sit the little girl on his knee. It wasn't until she grew up that she realised why he had sat her on his knee.

Religion is full of hypocrisy.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
And there are those who would comdemn me for not having religion....
Well I never would! All this does is demonstrate that all religions want us to be honest and obey the rules..... unless we are high up in the ranks of that religion and our wrongdoing would reduce our followers and show what we really are..... a bunch or control freaks!
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 11:13 AM

What do you expect? Lunatics running asylums.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top