Join for free
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2010, 01:24 PM

Prepare yourselves

For an explosion of colour the next 2 weeks, . . after the coldest winter for 100 years the spring flowers are very late but experts say we're in for a lovely display soon.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2010, 11:44 PM

Re: Prepare yourselves

It's funny you saying that Nero, my naighbour said to me this afternoon that the woman that lived here before planted some Christmas Roses out in the front and that they're late coming up but they should be out any time. I haven't a clue what they look like, I hope I don't dig them up . I've never even heard of Christmas Roses, has anyone else?
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2010, 11:48 PM

Here you go Alicat, . . they were popular up here at one time.

http://gardening.about.com/od/winter...istmasRose.htm
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2010, 08:30 AM

I can't wait, the crocus and odd snowdrop are out but nothing else.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2010, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by nero ->
Here you go Alicat, . . they were popular up here at one time.

http://gardening.about.com/od/winter...istmasRose.htm

Thanks for that Nero, I'll be looking out for that if my husband hasn't dug it up.

As you know weve only been here six months and the woman that lived here before was a very keen gardener, she's got all sorts of shrubs and flowers in our back garden which is a dog owners nightmare. Alot of shrubs and plants are toxic to dogs and Asti is a bit of a chewer, do you think I should cut down the shrubs and flowers that are toxic? In my last garden I only had a lawn with evergreens, there was no toxic plants or shrubs in it. This landscaped garden weve got now is a nightmare for me. There's crocuses of tulips coming up and all sorts!! I suppose I'll just have to keep an eye on Asti, she's not in the back garden for long as soon as she starts yapping I get her in.

How do other dog owners manage with plants and shrubs in their back garden?
nero
Central Scotland

14-03-2010, 11:39 PM

I have nothing in the back garden but slabs, all the plants are in the front which the dogs have no access to, . . beware of the rhododendron types, they're poisonous to dogs, this includes Azaleas of course.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2010, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Alicat ->
It's funny you saying that Nero, my naighbour said to me this afternoon that the woman that lived here before planted some Christmas Roses out in the front and that they're late coming up but they should be out any time. I haven't a clue what they look like, I hope I don't dig them up . I've never even heard of Christmas Roses, has anyone else?
Here's a pic of one of my hellebores from last year; They're loaded with buds today but the foliage looks awful after spending weeks under all the snow.

Alicat
West Berkshire

15-03-2010, 07:44 PM

That's very preety dandysmom.

Thanks for the warning nero, I'm gonna have to go through what's out there in my backgarden and sort it out. I won't risk Asti with toxic shrubs and plants.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top