Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2010, 12:53 PM

Frost Danger

We bought some bedding plants from B&Q last Wednesday and thought we would plant them today. Last night there was a frost and some of the busy lizzie looks sad. Someone said that up here near Carlisle you can't plant bedding plants until end of May can this be right?

If it is right then what should I do with my plants to protect them and keep them healthy?
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2010, 02:46 PM

Re: Frost Danger

If it is right then what should I do with my plants to protect them and keep them healthy?

Up that far North it could well be correct,just kep an eye on the 24 hour forecast and if a cold night is predicted cover them with fleece or even newspaper
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2010, 03:16 PM

I can't wait to fill my empty troughs up with Summer plants but I won't do it until the end of May, I never do.

I think I heard once you can cover them over with net curtain to keep the frost off them but don't quote me on it.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Old git ->

Up that far North it could well be correct,just kep an eye on the 24 hour forecast and if a cold night is predicted cover them with fleece or even newspaper
Thank you that is what I will do. It is pretty cold up here at the moment so I will cover them each night me thinks.

Interesting note We bought the plants in B&Q and it worked out at approximately 15p per plant. We have just looked on a site in Jersey and they work out at 6p per plant and they have some beauties too. We have decided to replace the dead plants with some from this site.

Thank you for your help and I will take heed.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2010, 03:53 PM

We bought the plants in B&Q and it worked out at approximately 15p per plant. We have just looked on a site in Jersey and they work out at 6p per plant and they have some beauties too. We have decided to replace the dead plants with some from this site.

well GCs are in it for profit,they charge high prices for stuff that really should not be out when they are selling-but folks go there.

Some of us are small ,some are large, it pays to look around
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

03-05-2010, 04:59 PM

This is our first adventure into planning out our garden and I think we have made a vital error straight away but we can only learn from it and you are right next time we will shop around.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2010, 10:30 AM

We're still getting frost up here so I'd wait a week or so before planting out.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

05-05-2010, 10:45 AM

I am listening and we haven't planted them out yet which is a good thing as my dog is digging over where we had prepared the soil for the bedding plants. He came in with muddy paws and a conversation explaining that his actions were not good ensued but he completely ignored us. Hope by the time the frosts fears have passed he has stopped digging.
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2010, 07:09 PM

There is an icy blast on its way from the arctic - so be wary.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

09-05-2010, 10:32 PM

It is really cold up here so we are covering the plants, thank you for your warning.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top