Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 09:55 PM

Re: Trade with other nations

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
That doesn't make sense Annie.

You obviously have never negotiated a bean in your life.
Are you going to expand on why it doesnt make sense? Or should I assume the personal attack is because you cannot?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 10:10 PM

No.....You are getting a regular trouncing on here ..... You must like it !
I am proud to say that I have not been trouncing this person.

I am far too polite for that, and I much prefer to ignore certain members' posts.

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 10:11 PM

That doesn't make sense Annie.

You obviously have never negotiated a bean in your life.
The most favourable deal is, of course, no deal!
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Are you going to expand on why it doesnt make sense? Or should I assume the personal attack is because you cannot?
Assume all you want Annie , because I really don't think you are worth wasting too much time on.

But just for this one time............

If we are to negotiate new deals it stands to reason that many of them will involve some degree of renegotiation from the position we held when in the EU

It stands to reason that will involve some favourable new terms for some countries in terms of what they trade, how much they trade etc..........That in itself does not mean the UK loses out. In fact it will lead to recipricol arrangements for us which will benefit us.

It's called WIN-WIN and your inability to imagine that the UK is able to thrive post-Brexit is pitiful
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 12:21 PM

Assume all you want Annie , because I really don't think you are worth wasting too much time on.

But just for this one time............

If we are to negotiate new deals it stands to reason that many of them will involve some degree of renegotiation from the position we held when in the EU

It stands to reason that will involve some favourable new terms for some countries in terms of what they trade, how much they trade etc..........That in itself does not mean the UK loses out. In fact it will lead to recipricol arrangements for us which will benefit us.

It's called WIN-WIN and your inability to imagine that the UK is able to thrive post-Brexit is pitiful

if we were so good at negotiating we would have negotiated for better terms in the EU without having to leave. We would have negotiated a better deal when leaving.

I do not share your optimism for a "win-win". More "whine-whine".

We do not have sufficient negotiation skills as we have not built these up and we do not hold the cards in this game, the other side has the upper hand. If we take the obstinate but stupid stance that we have taken during brexit negotiations we will not get anywhere in speedily agreeing deals with other countries. If we give away new concessions to close deals how will we be better off?

Some countries want visa free access to live in the UK. How will that please voters who wanted less immigration? Others want non tariff barriers on food and other safety regulations lifted. Will it be good for us to be flooded with shoddy cheap imports?

How do you think that this position of weakness is going to quickly lead to reciprocal arrangements that will benefit us? We do not have a history of successful negotiations. Our advantage in history has always been windfall gains due to good fortune or taking by force.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 01:49 PM

Can you provide an example?

Ford Transit production moving to Turkey with EU funding

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/100...transit-plant/

JLR moving to Slovakia with dodgy Slovakian euro bribe which was cleared by the EU

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/i...nd-rover-plant

As a net contributor were are helping to fund this
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

16-02-2019, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->

JLR moving to Slovakia with dodgy Slovakian euro bribe which was cleared by the EU

Indeed. The world laughs at us...

thanks to our inept politicians.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

16-02-2019, 03:02 PM

These are dodgy deals and the European Commission was investigating the Slovakian deal as it's against EU rules for the state to pay companies to lure them from other EU member states. It does not say that it's EU funding, but Slovakian state funding that was used.

Obviously if companies lie convincingly then bent deals will go through, it happens here too no doubt. But where is the evidence that official EU policy condones and encourages such a practice? It's clearly the opposite as it's against the rules.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 03:12 PM

These are dodgy deals and the European Commission was investigating the Slovakian deal as it's against EU rules for the state to pay companies to lure them from other EU member states. It does not say that it's EU funding, but Slovakian state funding that was used.

Obviously if companies lie convincingly then bent deals will go through, it happens here too no doubt. But where is the evidence that official EU policy condones and encourages such a practice? It's clearly the opposite as it's against the rules.

BIB 1 - and allowed it to go ahead

BIB 2 - It's happening, whether stated official policy or not.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 05:29 PM

Yes the EIB authorised a loan to Ford to ramp up Transit production in Turkey. It was only after that loan was agreed that Ford declared their intent to close the UK Plant. It’s less of a case of the the EU enticing Ford to expand a facility outside the EU at the expense of the UK than Ford making s commercial decision once they had the money. Perhaps conditions should have been put on the loan

JLR was indeed enticed to build there new plant in Europe instead of Mexico. No UK job losses as it was never going to be built here

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top