Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 11:10 PM

Fire extinguishers

It has finally dawned on me that we should have a fire extinguisher in our house. (No, we haven't had a fire!) The question is, which type? So I did a bit of research.

WATER (Red)? That would be ideal for combustible materials (wood, paper, fabrics), but nothing else.

FOAM (Cream)? Good for combustible materials and flammable liquids (paint, petrol, etc), but that's it.

CARBON DIOXIDE (Black)? That would have been my first choice as there would be no mess to clean up after use! However, it is only recommended for flammable liquids and electrical equipment. Not much good for solids, like wood for example, because it doesn't cool the source as some others do and a fire could quite easily reignite.

DRY POWDER (Blue)? Works for most things: solids, liquids, gases, even electrical equipment, but not deep fat fryers. That was going to be my final choice. If a fat fire broke out in the kitchen, for example, we'd just have to throw a wet blanket over it. The other drawback is that there'd be a bit of a mess to clean up afterwards.

Those were my choices then, the other option would have been to buy two complementary types. But then I came across a recent development, which sounds ideal.

WATER MIST

I don't know who first thought of this, but it copes with all of the above, including electrical equipment despite being water. Its secret is very fine microscopic particles of water which, unlike normal jets of water, will not conduct electricity up to 1000V. Importantly, it won't splash liquids and spread the fire, especially deep fat fryers. Also, unlike water jets, it doesn't saturate everything but, having cooled the source, the mist just disperses.
A brilliant invention... so I bought one.

There are some videos on this site:
https://www.safelincs.co.uk/1-litre-...her-ultrafire/
which demonstrate its effectiveness.

I hope this is of some interest to others and may prompt some of you to consider getting one of these yourselves.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 11:14 PM

Re: Fire extinguishers

That sounds really good, JBR. I have the dry powder one and a fire blanket in the kitchen. Will follow your linky and have a look. Thank you for the information.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 11:24 PM

Hi

I have a dry powder in the car, nothing in the house.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 11:26 PM

We don't have a fire extinguisher at home, I've often thought we should get one, just in case. I quite like the idea of the water mist one.

Thanks for that info JB ...
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 11:28 PM

Are you planning some indoor fireworks JBR?!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 11:31 PM

your best bet is to pop along to your local fire station and ask them.
of course they may suggest a sprinkler system with a huge water tank on your roof

We had several of both types at the kennels (foam and water) and they had to be tested each year to meet fire regs. Oh and they had to be wall mounted not free standing on the floor

one of the one hundred and one regs we had to obey or so it seemed.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
What a good idea! Thanks.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2019, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Haven't seen any of those in years, Annie!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

31-10-2019, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Haven't seen any of those in years, Annie!
Oh no, I don't mean those baby things. I mean letting off proper fireworks indoors. It's raining right now and I don't want to get wet.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2019, 04:07 AM

There's a fire extinguisher in the kitchen, garage, boat, boathouse, and laundry room.

What's strange though, is that there isn't a single match in the entire house.

Send pics, JBR!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top