Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 07:35 PM

Re: De-criminalisation of non-payment of TV Tax?

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
With reference to decriminalising an offence, I guess that's one way of reducing crime figures. Wonder what's next? Drugs, burglary, rape, knife attacks?
I don't think non payment of the TV licence should lead to a potential prison sentence and waste the time of a criminal court. That's the only change being proposed so far. They could still pursue through civil courts. They probably didn't fancy seeing lots of over 75's in prison next summer.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I don't think non payment of the TV licence should lead to a potential prison sentence and waste the time of a criminal court. That's the only change being proposed so far. They could still pursue through civil courts. They probably didn't fancy seeing lots of over 75's in prison next summer.
The sensible answer is of course to abolish this form of taxation. Since (almost) everybody has a radio (in my time even a transistor radio counted to be taxed), it is arguable to compensate the government for this tax by increasing the rate of income tax. The netherlands did in 2000, big advantage, you don't have to distrust your citizens and have special tax inspectors to find those that don't pay.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
The sensible answer is of course to abolish this form of taxation. Since (almost) everybody has a radio (in my time even a transistor radio counted to be taxed), it is arguable to compensate the government for this tax by increasing the rate of income tax. The netherlands did in 2000, big advantage, you don't have to distrust your citizens and have special tax inspectors to find those that don't pay.
I'm loving the Avatar Solasch, and by the way.....I'm visiting your neck of the woods on New Years Day while on a cruise....I look forward to seeing Amsterdam....

Sorry for going off topic.....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I'm loving the Avatar Solasch, and by the way.....I'm visiting your neck of the woods on New Years Day while on a cruise....I look forward to seeing Amsterdam....
Take my advice. If you go into the red light area, don't take out your camera.
I did!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2019, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Take my advice. If you go into the red light area, don't take out your camera.
I did!
Why's that JB?.....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2019, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Why's that JB?.....
There'll be the devil to pay.

I did this once, in all innocence. I was wanting to take a picture of the Oude Kerk and, suddenly, all the curtains were drawn. Realising what was happening, I quickly put my camera away before I got lynched.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

17-12-2019, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
There'll be the devil to pay.

I did this once, in all innocence. I was wanting to take a picture of the Oude Kerk and, suddenly, all the curtains were drawn. Realising what was happening, I quickly put my camera away before I got lynched.
I see what you mean JB, although Mrs Fox will be in attendance to make sure there's no funny business and she's not very liberally minded....
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2019, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I believe they get free TV in clink Annie?
Be a bit ironic to lock you up for not paying and then supplying
you with free TV?
Donkeyman!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

17-12-2019, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I believe they get free TV in clink Annie?
Be a bit ironic to lock you up for not paying and then supplying
you with free TV?
Donkeyman!
Same with healthcare.

If you're on a waiting list for treatment, go and knock a policeman's helmet off. If your judge tells you he's awarding you a suspended sentence, tell him he's a mentally retarded bewigged tw@t. Keep insulting until he sends you to jail.

No more waiting list!
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2019, 01:45 PM

My worry is Scammers!.
Those that don,t pay their license fee will not be criminalised but how are we going to know to know if there is a way of paying this fee without being scammed? Scammers these days are so clever that I can see thousands of elderly folk being ripped off by these gangs. Surely the BBC or the government will have to come up with a method that ensures vulnerable people are not being taken for a ride.
Then again the whole business may be mothballed anyway.

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top