Join for free
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 07:57 PM

Does being a good human being matter to you?

Does being a good human being matter to you?

The reason i am asking this question is because i read an article today about a US man about to receive the death penalty but due to some medical condition the man has, if he is injected with the drugs that kill him, the drugs will react with his medical condition which will in turn means he would die an extremely painful death. This has got human rights groups inflamed because they are saying it would be cruel, unjust and inhuman to allow him to die that way.

Now the human rights groups and supporters of giving this man a stay of execution due to the pain he will suffer when being put to death argue that as human beings, we are capable of empathy and compassion and that 'we do not want to be like them' ('Them' being countries who will happily allow death row prisoner to die in pain). This to me implies that they are saying we are better human beings than those who allow those to die in pain and thus it makes us better people and that being a better person is important and being a better person means we do not let prisoners die in pain.

And this begs the question, Is being a good human being so important to you that it will not allow you to instil pain onto death row prisoners, no matter how heinous and despicable their crime? Is it important to you that we are seen to be 'better than them' because we don't want to cause unjust pain to those receiving the death penalty?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 08:05 PM

Re: Does being a good human being matter to you?

Being a good human being is important to me .
I would not want to cause any living being unnecessary suffering .
There is a easy solution to this .
Take him off the medication he is on ( he’s is going to die anyway )
People who have committed a heinous crime ie murder have forfeited the right to live .
In this case it does not make those who protest better human beings at all .
Whom the Gods would destroy they first make mad .
Keeping heinous criminals alive is madness .
It is a madness that will eventually destroy society .
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 08:19 PM

I see myself as a good human being, I wouldn't want to be any other way.

As for people on death row, if they have committed a premeditated murder and found guilty with no reasonable doubt I believe they don't deserve to be on this earth.

If some see that makes me not such a good person then so be it.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 08:21 PM

Interesting question.
Does it matter to me? Yes it does.

But I don't agree with the death penalty. Life in jail I think is appropriate for the worst crimes but it should be for life.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 08:25 PM

Life means prison officiers and other inmates are at danger from killers who have nothing to lose .
Also it is a tremendous financial burden on the tax payer which include the family of the victims .
This is not justice .
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 08:30 PM

What i missed on my post and i would like to add is this:-

Human rights groups say we should show compassion to those inmates who are put to death making sure they do not suffer any pain when being put to death. My next question would then be, why should we be concerned about the rights of the prisoner about to be put to death in that they are not to suffer any pain when these people did not consider or bother to think about the rights of their victim(s) before they murdered them. They suffered in pain, therefore why shouldn't the prisoner about to be put to death suffer pain also? and were told we cant let them suffer because 'we are better than them', meaning being an good human being is so important that the rights of killers and how they die are more important than the suffering they instilled onto their victim(s).

I am a bad human being because in my opinion, a prisoner being put to death should suffer pain, they deserve no rights just as they gave their victim(s) no rights when they killed them.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 08:35 PM

The purpose of a death penalty should surely be utilitarian, not retribution.
To knowingly cause pain during the procedure is to stoop to a level of disregard which the prisoner has presumably demonstrated, and we should be above that if we are to claim any moral high ground.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Life means prison officiers and other inmates are at danger from killers who have nothing to lose .
Also it is a tremendous financial burden on the tax payer which include the family of the victims .
This is not justice .
Those on death row are often there for many years, upwards of three decades in some cases, and cost more for the extra security that needs to be in place.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 08:38 PM

It is important to me not to cause others harm. It's impossible to avoid sometimes but it's never intentional. I don't agree with the death penalty, but I do believe in assisted dying if someone really wants to end their own suffering from illness.

It's natural for humans to delight in the pain of others. It's a side to our psyche that should be discouraged in a civilised society. So if you take the very serious step of condemning someone to death it should not be to satisfy dark urges for revenge and pain, but purely to seek justice with the least gratification.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

02-10-2019, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Those on death row are often there for many years, upwards of three decades in some cases, and cost more for the extra security that needs to be in place.

Only in the states where they have eternal appeals .
When there was CP in the uk execution took place within a few weeks of the last appeal .

Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top