Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 12:12 PM

How Ever Did We Manage To Live In A World Where The Majority Smoked?

Imagine returning to the days of walking into a pub, restaurant or any other public building where the majority of people are smoking. Or visiting a house where people are smoking.
I don’t think you could.

Luckily these days, most of those places are now smoke free. You no longer end up smelling of smoke, having to change your clothes and wash your hair to get rid of the smell.

So l ask, how did we ever manage in those days to live in a world of smoke?
Could you put up with it now, if the ban was lifted?
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 12:25 PM

Re: How Ever Did We Manage To Live In A World Where The Majority Smoked?

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Imagine returning to the days of walking into a pub, restaurant or any other public building where the majority of people are smoking. Or visiting a house where people are smoking.
I don’t think you could.

Luckily these days, most of those places are now smoke free. You no longer end up smelling of smoke, having to change your clothes and wash your hair to get rid of the smell.

So l ask, how did we ever manage in those days to live in a world of smoke?
Could you put up with it now, if the ban was lifted?
It's not only ciggie smoke that choked but also the pea-souper smogs we were subjected to before the Clean Air Act came into force. I can clearly remember the last one of those dense smogs and one London Bus (27) ending up parked in our road which was quite a distance from its designated route.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 12:25 PM

Thank goodness for the ban. I remember eating beside people at the next table smoking .

Remember smoking on planes and trains too ...awful
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 12:27 PM

Art, I know what you mean, when I was young, my mum, dad, gran, two aunts, and my sister, all smoked, I was the only one who didn’t, never have, I used to go into our front room where a smog used to sit a foot from the ceiling, no wonder I used to spend a lot of time in my room..horrible habit, glad it’s been banned from public places
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 12:37 PM

The worst was being at the cinema or theatre and smokers surrounded you.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 12:58 PM

To be honest it never really bothered me, probably because I was a selfish smoker myself back i' day and didn't think of others I'm ashamed to say.

It's good they banned smoking in public places such as bars and restaurants. Designated areas for smokers don't bother me, these days I just avoid them.

I quit smoking 12 years ago and I'm glad I did but I am left with COPD so the damage was done. What a fool I was.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 01:34 PM

People flicking their ash everywhere is irritating.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 01:43 PM

We had no choice and no I wouldn’t like it if it was brought back as acceptable
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 01:52 PM

Hi

I smoked, never with others around however, as you well know.

It is totally wrong to inflict it on others.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 02:42 PM

I think smoking was a "Grown up" thing to do and that is why so many young people tried it... and it continued through quite a few generations. Sadly it took that long for people to realize that it could kill them & I am glad that many have now stopped smoking.

These days alcohol seems to be the demon & I blame the TV. If you watch entertainment programmes on TV you will be struggling to find one that doesn't show an alcoholic drink.
Lots of young teenagers are drinking Vodka, like it is going out of fashion but it could take a few generations before they realize too much alcohol can kill too.
The real problem is that the government & advertising markets make a lot of revenue on these products, so are reluctant to ban them, just because some people unknowingly overdo it

My biggest fear is..." Will the next heavily taxed products be drugs?" after all cannabis is on the road to becoming legal for pain relief and drugs seem to be the topic of many programmes!
By the time they have banned smoking & drinking on TV, perhaps our future generations will be watching people inject themselves on most programmes?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top