Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 06:01 PM

Re: The flooding is a disgrace

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
You are spot on Mart about the cost of living innLondon, especially
housing costs! So why dont you consider moving house to the area
of your choice away from London?
You would get a good price for your house down there and have a
good bit in the bank after buying a house further out?
seems a no brainer to me!
Regards Donkeyman!
Houses are cheaper but the cost of living strangely isn't. tradesmen will still charge the same as in the SE, the only difference being they will take times times longer to do the work.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
You are spot on Mart about the cost of living innLondon, especially
housing costs! So why dont you consider moving house to the area
of your choice away from London?
You would get a good price for your house down there and have a
good bit in the bank after buying a house further out?
seems a no brainer to me!
Regards Donkeyman!
Where we are is about 30 miles from London. It's where I was born and raised and so is 'home'. Our family is here and I don't want to move away, although I have to admit to thinking about moving north. We have friends there even and we get on well with their friends. I know people listen to our southern accent and think we are rich and I have to point out what I've already mentioned. Total shock when we say what our council tax is.

We have a small river near us that has been known to flood and where we were in our last house, the sewers filled up and I watched a river running down the road outside our house. It never actually came indoors fortunately but it did on some of the houses on the estate. Where was the blinkin' government minister eh?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 07:39 PM

That place in Yorkshire Fishlake doesn't the name sort of suggest its likely to be flooded at some point?

A lot of flooding is because houses have been built on river flood plains .

Too much concrete causes more run off too.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
That place in Yorkshire Fishlake doesn't the name sort of suggest its likely to be flooded at some point?

A lot of flooding is because houses have been built on river flood plains .

Too much concrete causes more run off too.
We know that Muddy, so why don’t these so called expert builders who build these houses or the planners who gave permission, know it too?

Oh l forgot it’s money and greed. Sod what happens after.
pathfinder
scotland
pathfinder is male  pathfinder has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
They can get people on the moon but don’t seem to have resolved halting flooding.

Is flooding classed as an ‘Act Of God’ and nothing will ever stop it? Or, isn’t enough being done to curtail it?
That's usually the insurance cop out when they don't want to
pay out
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I wonder how much it would cost to dredge the river against building flood defences. Dredging would be the quickest/easiiest short term way
I understand that the EU don't allow dredging of rivers. That was the issue over the Somerset floods a few years ago.

In this instance, I do wonder why they have been allowed to build a new estate at Fishlake nab, still hoping to sell the properties Surely the clue is in the word 'fishlake ' ?

There will always be complaints about Governments but whilst Corbyn and Swinson were winding people up , the Government were having COBRA meetings to see what was to be done and sandbags wouldn't have been any use at all after the initial flooding, until the water had subsided anyway, to prevent further flooding.
Where were the council ?
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 11:45 PM

EU directives on “habitats”, “birds”, “water” and “floods” have dominated the UK’s river management strategy for nearly 20 years. The Government’s hands have been tied by a vast list of European Union directives, critics say. The Environment Agency must obey strict rules set in the EU Water Framework Directive to protect wildlife and plants when implementing its dredging strategy.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/12...-latest-update
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2019, 03:08 AM

All I can do is speak of our flooding over here:

1. Require flood insurance with home purchases in prone areas.

2. Make city councils and developers financially responsible if they approve building in anything more recent that 100 year flood plains.

3. Beef up infrastructure: Dredge and rebuild levies.

4. If people do not insure or choose not to participate in flood programs, they are not allowed to rebuild if they have more than 50% damage after a flood. Consider implementation of government buyout plans.

Note: We seem to have the same problems over here with prioritization.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2019, 08:21 AM

Hi

Clearing ditches and culverts is important for local flooding.

Dredging is an impossibility in many cases and simply moves the problem elsewhere.

Shrewsbury has two bridges, English and Welsh, built on fords, the river bed is solid rock.

Dredging would require the demolition of the bridges and blasting out hundreds of yards of rock.

That is not an option, the only solution would be a huge flood relief channel around the town
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2019, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Clearing ditches and culverts is important for local flooding.

Dredging is an impossibility in many cases and simply moves the problem elsewhere.

Shrewsbury has two bridges, English and Welsh, built on fords, the river bed is solid rock.

Dredging would require the demolition of the bridges and blasting out hundreds of yards of rock.

That is not an option, the only solution would be a huge flood relief channel around the town
Thing is Swim, it's mainly sand and silt round here, but the main problem is weed. Farmers feed the crops with fertilizer and it runs off into the dykes and drainage channels and promotes massive growths of weeds. Places where I used to fish as a boy are now strangled with weed and nothing survives, and it blocks all the waterways.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top