Join for free
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 01:36 PM

Floydy's All-Time Top 1000 Tracks

I can’t deliberate any longer, this has to be tackled. Self-indulgence it has to be! The mulling and pondering is at an end and it’s an ideal time to do this epic project whilst I’m pretty much incapacitated being stuck at home with my illness. Plenty of time to kill and hopefully, some enjoyment by others to follow its progress as we gradually unfold this painstakingly-created tome of one music fan’s favourite songs.

Bear with me. Please understand that your favourites are not my favourites. This is a personal list and you will disagree with many of my choices of what is a great song or what isn’t even in the list.
That, I welcome greatly because opinions matter and like any other thread on this remarkable forum, discussion is the key.

Yes, it’s a list of favourites but I welcome your interjections with questions, own favourites and please post your own videos too if they are relevant to a post. The more, the merrier as long as I can continue to count down these tracks in between.

Please bear in mind my age too, if you will. As I’m in my mid-50’s there are not going to be a massive number of songs which date before the 1960’s. I am very seriously into my music and have a huge collection dating way back before my birth, but if you understand that most people’s record buying begins when they are in their early to mid-teens then this list will mostly feature tracks from that period of time. In my case, I am rooted in the late 1970’s-early 80’s generation of popular music and many of my favourites are from memorable songs I bought when I was young.

That’s not to say that there are not hundreds of songs from before that era. Indeed, there are also many from later on, in fact some are very up to date as I still listen to the radio and see bands live in concert.

I will say now that fans of commercial radio may be disappointed. Yes there are many hit singles here but I am not a ‘casual music listener’, I get so bored and sick and tired of hearing the repetitive playing of acts such as Eurythmics, Queen and Bryan Adams. I used to love many of their records but they are now so over-played that it grates when I hear them. So you won’t get “Summer Of ‘69”, you won’t see “Don’t Stop Me Now” or even the soul classic “Mustang Sally”. All good songs but I’ve just ‘gone off them’. Bon Jovi have the same effect. And grannies disco fodder like ‘YMCA’, ‘I Will Survive’ or ‘Come On Eileen’ just make me want to throw up now.

A final note before we get to the nitty gritty of how I compiled the list:
My favourite band is Pink Floyd and they feature heavily, sometimes in every other post. Stick with it though, as there are many interesting songs between these works of art.

Notes on compiling and inclusion

I went right through my whole collection of music selecting my favourites and ended up with a list of 2314 possible contenders for my all-time favourites. Every song in that original list is a favourite of mine and it was incredibly difficult to whittle it all down to a thousand songs, not to mention putting them all in order of choice.

The 1000 will be counted down in this thread, lowest first to my all-time No.1 track. Along the way I will feature inserts of those which didn’t make the thousand and list extracts A-Z by artist, probably alphabetically (A-B and so on) at regular intervals.

I will not merely post videos at random without any chat about the song. I think it’s important to give a brief background of the piece of music and also why I like it so much and any memories I have about it. The videos will all be from YouTube and where possible it will a live performance rather than just the song with a still picture – though some will not be available due to copyright or simply because they are rarities.

I’ll be appearing at intervals to suit time available to me. Some days where I have little to do there may be up to a dozen songs featured, other days perhaps hardly any. In each post I’ll probably feature between one and three tracks. I will not go too fast though as I understand you may want to talk a bit about some of the songs. Just jump in anytime you like!

That’s about it. Enjoy the journey and don’t stop believin’ in music!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 01:40 PM

Re: Floydy's All-Time Top 1000 Tracks

Here we go, the first 5 in reverse order of course...

No.1000: UB40 “Food For Throught” by UB40 (1980)
First up, the Birmingham retro-reggae band’s first single. A No.4 hit in 1980 which for me is still their finest song. Reason for that is that they very quickly turned into a covers act and I lost interest in them.

No.999: “Help Me Make It Through The Night” (live) by Kris Kristofferson & Rita Coolidge (1975)
Next we have this classic clip from “The Old Grey Whistle Test”. Husband and wife team who obviously can’t get their hands off each other and appear quite well-stoned too! Kristofferson wrote this song which has been covered many times, most notably by Gladys Knight & The Pips and John Holt as a reggae version.

No.998: “Annie’s Song” by John Denver (1974)
Staying with country music, the late star’s sole U.K. number one.

No.997: “Surfin’ Bird” by The Trashmen (1963)
On reflection, one of the very first ‘alternative’ songs and a staple of the early 60’s surf guitar music scene in the U.S. Covered by many artists including psychobilly acts such as The Meteors and The Cramps and at 100mph by The Ramones. Enjoy this great vintage clip of The Trashmen:

No.996: “Good Technology” by Red Guitars (1984)
From my hometown of Hull, an act whose members I still see around the local pub scene, the Red Guitars. This for me is their best single although a track “Steeltown” actually hit the top slot in John Peel’s Festive Fifty run down in 1983.

That’s all for now, maybe a few more later.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

02-10-2019, 04:35 PM

Another couple of tracks just to bump the thread…

No.995: “Black Hair” by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds (1997)
The first appearance in the thread by Australian singer-songwriter and master of gothic morbid gloom Nick Cave. This severely creepy acoustic song fascinates due to its almost unnerving method of singing about a lady’s “soft, white milky throat” etc.

No.994: “Mardi Gras In New Orleans” by Professor Longhair (1949)
Just about the oldest song in the list by Henry Roy Byrd a.k.a. Profession “Fes” Longhair, one of the earliest legends of roots New Orleans jazz. The man drives this piano-grooved classic along with singing and incidental whistling to provide a wonderfully catchy old-time tune. Some ancient video footage of some nice still pics of New Orleans.

Isn't that wonderful?

I'll let you catch up. Next instalment tomorrow.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->

No.995: “Black Hair” by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds (1997)
The first appearance in the thread by Australian singer-songwriter and master of gothic morbid gloom Nick Cave. This severely creepy acoustic song fascinates due to its almost unnerving method of singing about a lady’s “soft, white milky throat” etc.
More Nick Cave to come.

The Boatman's Call, a truly excellent album. You probably know the story Floydy, I assume you know the whole album, he's singing about PJ Harvey, "black hair", "green eyes", "west country girl" with a big fat cat. Of course that her in the video but I don't think she contributed music-wise.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

02-10-2019, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
More Nick Cave to come.

The Boatman's Call, a truly excellent album. You probably know the story Floydy, I assume you know the whole album, he's singing about PJ Harvey, "black hair", "green eyes", "west country girl" with a big fat cat. Of course that her in the video but I don't think she contributed music-wise.
Hi d00d.
Great to see you in here along for the ride
An excellent album but I didn't know this was about PJ Harvey, it's actually the first time I've seen this video. Interesting story that
Yes bud, many more Nick Cave 'murder ballads' to come
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 05:48 PM

No:1000, Food for thought by UB40.

Signing Off was the first album I bought after starting my job and 'Food for thought' was my favourite track. No one had heard of UB40 at the time but we had an old record player at work and after playing it a few times, all my work mates would happily sing along, they all came to love it. I also converted my ex girfriend's Dad who was in his sixties.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 05:50 PM

998. John Denver - Annie's song - Impossible to hear this song without singing along. He had such a great voice.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

02-10-2019, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
No:1000, Food for thought by UB40.

Signing Off was the first album I bought after starting my job and 'Food for thought' was my favourite track. No one had heard of UB40 at the time but we had an old record player at work and after playing it a few times, all my work mates would happily sing along, they all came to love it. I also converted my ex girfriend's Dad who was in his sixties.
Hi mate.
Great to see you involved in this second "all-time faves" project
Interesting story. It's a great song but sadly I didn't continue to like the band. When I hear "Red Red Wine" now it makes me wince. More like "Red Red Whine".
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

02-10-2019, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
998. John Denver - Annie's song - Impossible to hear this song without singing along. He had such a great voice.
He did some lovely songs. "Rocky Mountain High" is another favourite of mine. Such a sad loss.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

02-10-2019, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Hi mate.
Great to see you involved in this second "all-time faves" project
Interesting story. It's a great song but sadly I didn't continue to like the band. When I hear "Red Red Wine" now it makes me wince. More like "Red Red Whine".
Yes, I hate the way they went too. I much preferred their music without the singing.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top