Join for free
Page 24 of 26 « First < 14 22 23 24 25 26 >
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 01:32 PM

Re: Does being a good human being matter to you?

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Yes it does .
For all the reasons that you have been ignoring in this thread up to now .

1) Judicial retribution is not murder
2) closure for the victims families
3) safety of prison guards and other prisoners
4) cost of keeping them is immoral when innocent people are dying for lack of resources
5) it’s immoral for the families of victims to be obliged to pay for the upkeep of their loved ones murderers
6) it is a deterrent whatever you say
7) consequences -murder and you die
8) prevents repeat offences
9) it is a punishment and the punishment must fit the crime
10) it is the right thing to do -to keep heinous murderers alive is utter madness.

There is ZERO evidence of it being a deterrent.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 01:36 PM

I ask you again are you a mind reader ?
Can you look into a mans head and see if he was deterred from murder or not?

Is there any evidence that life imprisonment is a deterrent ?

It’s been asked before but you didn’t answer .
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
There is evidence that it is, there is evidence that it isn't, there is evidence that is has a contrary effect.
Depends which study one wants to cite.

However, I do agree that the tiny number of cases in which capital punishment might be used involve a set of circumstances/criminals for which the concept of deterrence is irrelevant.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 01:41 PM

As Muddy has already pointed out, unless you are able to read people's mind, that statement is void.

There could be more people out there with the thoughts 'i could do that but if i do, i could get the death penalty, therefore i wont risk it'. People who think like this do not come under pollsters radar but it is still valid. As such it can be argued that the death penalty works as a deterrent.

Edit:

I am sure if there was a study done on past and present criminals who were/are jailed for serious crimes but not for capital crimes and the question was put to them 'why didn't you go further into your crime and kill the person, rather than just beating them up or injuring them' i think you'll find the response will be 'i did not want to face the death penalty'.

No one wants to do such a study because it would give legitimacy to the fact the death penalty works as a deterrent and would put a dent into all those trying to abolish it.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 01:47 PM

How would you know,that the death penalty that is in place,in America,doesn't deter some people from murdering?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
This is, arguably, a strong case for using the death penalty if we are trying to mitigate the "dark ages" methods of vengeance.

Societal torture is far more cruel than an execution.
That is precisely why I absolutely believe it is appropriate for the worst of the worst.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2019, 07:10 PM

Hypothetical question to those against capital punishment.

If the perp served his/her time, and was then released back into the community.

What would you argue if that person then killed someone else?

Surely that new "lost life" would be down to decisions like yours?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2019, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Hypothetical question to those against capital punishment.

If the perp served his/her time, and was then released back into the community.

What would you argue if that person then killed someone else?

Surely that new "lost life" would be down to decisions like yours?
I think the discussion is mainly focused on those who will never be released.

Mind you, your question does remain relevant if one of them escaped and committed a further murder.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2019, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
How would you know,that the death penalty that is in place,in America,doesn't deter some people from murdering?
I didn't claim to know that.

But that the homicide rate in USA with capital punishment is about five times that of UK which doesn't is evidence that it is not working. Actually, someone on this thread came up with figures indicating that those states that don't have capital punishment have a lower homicide rate.
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2019, 09:08 PM

I didn't claim to know that.

But that the homicide rate in USA with capital punishment is about five times that of UK which doesn't is evidence that it is not working. Actually, someone on this thread came up with figures indicating that those states that don't have capital punishment have a lower homicide rate.
In the same states where the people demand the death penalty, there will also be outrage over abortions. The funny thing is that the people will not see any inconsistency in the two stands.

Page 24 of 26 « First < 14 22 23 24 25 26 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top