Join for free
Page 11 of 16 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 08:16 AM

Re: Abolition of Cash

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
How many chickens to the £ or maybe some carrots?
Exchanging goods, used to happen frequently between our relatives and neighbours to make ends meet.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Without cold, hard cash, life without it may be more so.

Turn a phone into a virtual wallet, and an expensive toy becomes a necessity.
Don't they have credit and debit cards in the UK? The banks here supply them for free.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 09:38 AM

"They're" surreptitiously manipulating us into cashlessness.
That way they won't have to make any coins or print notes. Also "they" can track us and watch what we're doing with money.

It's all a fiendish plot.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Don't they have credit and debit cards in the UK? The banks here supply them for free.
Nah don’t need them if you have a mobile phone.
Yes what ever next.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Exchanging goods, used to happen frequently between our relatives and neighbours to make ends meet.
There are Local Exchange and Trading Systems (LETS) based on exchanging goods or services. I was aware of this where I used to live and on searching the internet found there are various places still using this idea.

The link below is for one such scheme in Dorset, there are many others, this one has probably the best website to show how LETS works.

"If you haven’t come across LETS before, a Local Exchange and Trading System is a modern form of bartering which puts you in a position to trade skills, goods and services with other local people."

http://www.swdorsetlets.org.uk

At the moment none of us knows what the future will bring with regard to 'the disappearing high street' and COVID-19, maybe this is part of how things might be?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
You can be sure lots of people said that when the first motor cars appeared.
Bad comparison Bruce....
Modern technology based on the internet is a billion times more complex than the simple motor car. There was a time when many people could understand the workings of their vehicles, and as such, would service and maintain them.

Even though the modern motor car is now way beyond the scope of the average driver to tinker about with, it's still not rocket science and mainly a collection of moving parts. Providing the oil and other propellants are forthcoming, I can't see it disappearing from our roads anytime soon. Unless it becomes economically or politically impossible to continue. (ever increasing costs, and the 'Save the Planet' knobs)....

The internet however is like an ever increasing tower of bricks that becomes more unstable as the height increases. It is dependent on so many things, as as history has shown us, if something can happen, it will! And when a vehicle breaks down, only the driver suffers, but when the internet breaks down......We All Suffer, as Cinders correctly points out...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
And television and the internet... the Luddites on here hate technology
I love technology Vlad, but it doesn't stop me from seeing where it's going to end up...Luddite? not at all, but I resist the temptation to get too comfortable and put my trust totally into all that's new and state-of-the-art...Having a 'Plan B' sounds like good advice to me...
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
There are Local Exchange and Trading Systems (LETS) based on exchanging goods or services. I was aware of this where I used to live and on searching the internet found there are various places still using this idea.

The link below is for one such scheme in Dorset, there are many others, this one has probably the best website to show how LETS works.

"If you haven’t come across LETS before, a Local Exchange and Trading System is a modern form of bartering which puts you in a position to trade skills, goods and services with other local people."

http://www.swdorsetlets.org.uk

At the moment none of us knows what the future will bring with regard to 'the disappearing high street' and COVID-19, maybe this is part of how things might be?
A brilliant simple idea, to bring people together and help each other out, something we need more than ever.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Bad comparison Bruce....
Modern technology based on the internet is a billion times more complex than the simple motor car. There was a time when many people could understand the workings of their vehicles, and as such, would service and maintain them.

Even though the modern motor car is now way beyond the scope of the average driver to tinker about with, it's still not rocket science and mainly a collection of moving parts. Providing the oil and other propellants are forthcoming, I can't see it disappearing from our roads anytime soon. Unless it becomes economically or politically impossible to continue. (ever increasing costs, and the 'Save the Planet' knobs)....

The internet however is like an ever increasing tower of bricks that becomes more unstable as the height increases. It is dependent on so many things, as as history has shown us, if something can happen, it will! And when a vehicle breaks down, only the driver suffers, but when the internet breaks down......We All Suffer, as Cinders correctly points out...
I think Bruce's comparison is equally valid.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

24-10-2020, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I think Bruce's comparison is equally valid.
How so Besoeker?

Page 11 of 16 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top