Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2020, 12:20 PM

Re: Plumbing and Drainage Plus

LD homeserve have a very bad reputation if you see their reviews . My neighbour had a contract with them and she had to keep paying up front before an engineer would come out to her boiler. I did look at going with them for my homecare things but since reading reviews I stay well away .
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2020, 02:20 PM

I really don't want to sound like a scaremonger but .........
personally I would be more concerned that the supply is very likely to be a lead pipe.

Some suppliers will come and test free and since the previous owners owned your house for 20 years and haven't changed the supply (or they would know where the stopcock was) I recommend you check before deciding anything.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2020, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
Most are doing this now and often in conjunction with Homeserve. I had a dispute with Homeserve when my general house insurance sent Homeserve along to look at a large broken window after a swan had decided to fly into it. They were worse than useless and demanded my policy's £50 excess before they would even measure up. I told them where to go in no uncertain terms and employed my local glazier. My insurance paid the fully descriptive bill in full minus the £50 excess. To demand the excess before the job is finished to my satisfaction is completely unacceptable but apparently is typical of dodgy Homeserve.
I hope the poor swan was OK.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2020, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
So do you not intend to have a new stop tap fitted inside?
Yes Barry, I do.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2020, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Yes Barry, I do.
Then I don't understand your problem, the plumber will turn off the water at the meter whilst he fits the stop tap.... or am I missing something?

BTW a stop tap key costs less than a tenner, and personally I think is always worth having in case of an emergency..
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2020, 05:01 PM

Jazzi, if you can afford it, I suggest you save £10-20/month in a separate bank account set aside specifically for heating/plumbing related works. Then, if you need any work carried out the money will be there ready and waiting.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2020, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
BTW a stop tap key costs less than a tenner, and personally I think is always worth having in case of an emergency..
I completely agree, which is why I bought one some time ago.

All I need now is a barrier and some temporary traffic lights, as ours is in the very busy road outside our house!

Seriously, though, in an emergency I'd park my car just behind the stop cock and there are no yellow lines to say I shouldn't.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2020, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Jazzi, if you can afford it, I suggest you save £10-20/month in a separate bank account set aside specifically for heating/plumbing related works. Then, if you need any work carried out the money will be there ready and waiting.
I would agree with that.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2020, 08:54 PM

I noticed that house insurance was mentioned but check because some insurances specifically do not cover water leaks.
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 06:53 PM

Ask you neighbour where theirs is?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top