Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2021, 09:29 AM

Re: Dog clippers

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I agree Aerolor preferably those with only one serrated edge , I could not bring myself to clip a collie.
Curved scissors are also good for removing knots.

It makes me sad to clip a Schnauzer now that arthritis in my hands makes trimming any other way difficult.

Oster Aesculap and Andis are all good clippers but pricy.

I groom Chloe every day without fail, her soft leg and tummy furnishings knot very quickly so we never get knots .
Meg I don’t want to clip him all over just in the back regions where it won’t show underneath his petticoats where all the mats occur . Mungo is such a wiggle grooming is not easy. Being the clever dog that he is he has been known to seize the brush and do a runner with it !
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2021, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Try a pair of thinning scissors before resorting to clippers Muddy. I have/had dogs with "trousers" which can get matted. Thinning scissors work well for me. Brush out as well and the hair should be fine. Also simply trimming with scissors works well after you have thinned the hair out. It's a shame to use clippers on this area as often it ruins the look when all you need to do is make it manageable. Anti tangle sprays/creams can help a lot as well.
I will try some I have all de tangle lotion as recommended at the local groomers it has limited effect and none at all on an established matt .
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2021, 09:35 AM

Oster
WAHL

I’ve got one of these . It works great but I’m clipping a Yorkshire terrier and a schnoodle - 1/2 schnauzer 1/2 poodle.

https://www.amazon.ca/Oster-07800501...29172603&psc=1

Mups will know about dog clippers but a good pair of thinning shears is a good idea also. Those things are great for subtle thinning cause shearing a collie won’t be easy. Good luck either way.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2021, 10:06 AM

This is where I buy all my grooming stuff, used them for years and never been let down.

https://www.christiesdirect.com/?gcl...4aAmL8EALw_wcB
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

10-07-2021, 12:40 PM

Thank you Roxy and everyone for your suggestions .
Results of five minutes ( all he can take ) grooming this morning.
Mungo not too pleased about it.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	4BC81F80-5A04-48FB-A1D6-F30213F5F0F6.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	16220   Click image for larger version

Name:	C1CC5205-7EC4-484B-91A5-1B45F3A203E9.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	16221  
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2021, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Well, we just got Max groomed yesterday. I no that that doesn't help you but, at 35kg, getting in and out of the shower was a bit of a challenge.

Just of interest, the groomer says that he doesn't have a double coat. And he is a Collie.
why were you in the shower?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2021, 02:06 PM

Muddy, I wonder if this sort of de-tangler brush would be of use for Mungo's coat?
It looks to have longer rubber bristles, so wouldn't scratch at his inner thigh skin like pin brushes can do.

https://fetch.co.uk/pet-teezer-detan...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2021, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
why were you in the shower?
Why would you assume that?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2021, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I will try some I have all de tangle lotion as recommended at the local groomers it has limited effect and none at all on an established matt .
I understand. Once you have established matts, there is not much alternative but to cut them out.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

14-07-2021, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Muddy, I wonder if this sort of de-tangler brush would be of use for Mungo's coat?
It looks to have longer rubber bristles, so wouldn't scratch at his inner thigh skin like pin brushes can do.

https://fetch.co.uk/pet-teezer-detan...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Hi Mups I bought a great one from Tesco for £6 ( it for people and works a treat ) very soft - I tried it on my own arm and naughty mungo tried to run off with it . However Mr M said sternly stop that ! and he immediately was as good as gold . Mungo came from a home with children and I now think that grooming was just an excuse for rough housing - he is the same with the yard broom and the lawn mower . Will try all sorts of tricks to stop these activities which he clearly sees as wasting time that could be spent playing - preferably football ! ( I am sure the children were boys )

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top