Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2021, 07:27 PM

Re: How to fail a driving test

She must be thrilled, my son has been caught speeding in the past, he never lost his license though, he did have to go on some driving course, not sure what it was called.

I’m sure she will be more careful in future, I know my son is.
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2021, 09:34 PM

That's a good result at last and what a relief..When I took mine I had been driving with a work mate who did not actually instruct me very much just made remarks more than anything, that would have been in the mid 60's and drove here and there from early 70's when I had about 6 lessons and shocked that I passed..I caught the kerb on the three point turn. I was that nervous I jerked the gear changes and he said that was understandable..nerves...well yes I can remember my knees knocking once before when walking down the aisle..with the bridesmaids in tow....
I PASSED...was quite amazed at that.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2021, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Oh! Congratulations Dex! Well done her - now you can get chauffeured around
In my dreams!!!

She's a cunning one, that daughter of mine. When she first had her licence revoked, she naturally looked at the potential increase in insurance premiums. At the time, it was circa £2k. So, I said that I'll put some money each week into her account which will build up in time to mitigate the increase in premiums.

Turns out that the amount I agreed to subsidise her by isn't too far from the actual total insurance cost she's now found. So, in effect, I'm paying for most of her insurance.

I'd reverse the decision, were it not for the fact that she'd worked out the total cost of buying, insuring, maintaining, fuelling would be covered by her student grant. Her grant will decrease by about £2k next year for reasons unknown, so I'd probably end up having to pay for it anyway.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 06:46 AM

Do we need to stay off the roads? Only joking well done to her

Interesting facts about the rocket by the way
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
She must be thrilled, my son has been caught speeding in the past, he never lost his license though, he did have to go on some driving course, not sure what it was called.

I’m sure she will be more careful in future, I know my son is.
Called a Speed Awareness Course.

Either do that (for about £80) or get points plus a fine.
Ullabi
Ullabi is female 

06-06-2021, 10:30 AM

Well done your daughter Dex.

Both my girlfriend and I had to "repass" our driving tests when we beame disabled. We didn't have to retake the theory part just satisfy the examiner that we could drive a car adapted with hand controls in a safe manner.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0856.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	15809  
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

06-06-2021, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Ullabi ->
Well done your daughter Dex.

Both my girlfriend and I had to "repass" our driving tests when we beame disabled. We didn't have to retake the theory part just satisfy the examiner that we could drive a car adapted with hand controls in a safe manner.
Hats off to you, and indeed hats off to the designers of the "conversion" kit required for your car.

We used to see a fella round here driving a similarly adapted car. Had a chat with him once and he told me that it really made life much easier for him.
Ullabi
Ullabi is female 

06-06-2021, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Hats off to you, and indeed hats off to the designers of the "conversion" kit required for your car.

We used to see a fella round here driving a similarly adapted car. Had a chat with him once and he told me that it really made life much easier for him.
Yes Dex it gives us our independence.

It's amazing the conversions these companies can manage. I know a young woman in the USA who has no limbs at all and she is able to drive thanks to a similar conversion.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

06-06-2021, 10:53 AM

It's amazing the conversions these companies can manage. I know a young woman in the USA who has no limbs at all and she is able to drive thanks to a similar conversion.
One can only imagine that when driverless cars become more prevalent, it will open up freedom for a lot more people for whom the current adaptive technology isn't available.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 11:12 AM

It is amazing what these conversion companies can do, We saw a adaptation being done where the drivers seat was motorised to come out of the car and then twist around so that the person could transfer to a wheelchair (and vice versa). Very clever.

Our friend had a Mercedes wagon with a motorised tailgate and lift. The tailgate opened and the lift came out and down. He could then drive onto the lift, be raised up, wheel into the drivers position where his motorised chair locked in place. The tailgate slowly closed and locked.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top