Join for free
Reply
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
The Artful Todger's Avatar
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
The Artful Todger is online now
Suffolk UK
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 11,954
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-06-2021, 11:46 AM
11

Re: A thought for Wednesday

And if you've been stabbed or shot or broken a bone? Or been poisoned? Or developed a cancer? It's a pretty little quote but no longer valid.
Reply With Quote
OldGreyFox's Avatar
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
OldGreyFox is offline
South Yorkshire
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 20,541
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-06-2021, 11:46 AM
12

Re: A thought for Wednesday

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
If I were Volty, would have substituted Appeasing for Amusing.
Yes I agree, a better choice of word Spitty....
Reply With Quote
Bathsheba's Avatar
Bathsheba
Senior Member
Bathsheba is online now
Devon, UK
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 723
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-06-2021, 11:52 AM
13

Re: A thought for Wednesday

"Volty"
Reply With Quote
OldGreyFox's Avatar
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
OldGreyFox is offline
South Yorkshire
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 20,541
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-06-2021, 11:53 AM
14

Re: A thought for Wednesday

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
And if you've been stabbed or shot or broken a bone? Or been poisoned? Or developed a cancer? It's a pretty little quote but no longer valid.
As I said earlier Todger, we mustn't take these quotes too literal...

However, all the things you mentioned would be repaired by your own body, with help from the medical profession obviously.
The treatment of Cancer has better outcomes if the patient has 'positive mental attitude' even the doctors will tell you that.
Reply With Quote
mart's Avatar
mart
Chatterbox
mart is offline
South of England
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,971
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-06-2021, 11:55 AM
15

Re: A thought for Wednesday

Voltaire is well out of date on this one.

Doctors never have given anything for colds have they? ..or the ones I've been going to all my life haven't mentioned anything. A few things I've used can help to take the edges off the effects of it though.

The immune system certainly is a factor in overcoming illnesses but medical treatments and vaccinations have been effective against quite a few diseases and illnesses that the immune system hasn't been able to overcome.
Reply With Quote
OldGreyFox's Avatar
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
OldGreyFox is offline
South Yorkshire
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 20,541
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-06-2021, 12:06 PM
16

Re: A thought for Wednesday

Originally Posted by mart ->
Voltaire is well out of date on this one.

Doctors never have given anything for colds have they? ..or the ones I've been going to all my life haven't mentioned anything. A few things I've used can help to take the edges off the effects of it though.

The immune system certainly is a factor in overcoming illnesses but medical treatments and vaccinations have been effective against quite a few diseases and illnesses that the immune system hasn't been able to overcome.
A factor mart?......

Your immune system is working twenty four seven, just ask someone with Aids who doesn't have a strong, or even none existent, immune system how long they would last without meds....The bacteria on their skin would kill them within a week. A common cold would be the end, even an infected wound from a thorn would be life threatening. You owe your life to the continuing work of your immune system and your body's ability to repair itself. Doctors can only 'assist' because once your immune system fails you are history....
Reply With Quote
spitfire
Chatterbox
spitfire is offline
Warwickshire
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 29,390
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-06-2021, 12:14 PM
17

Re: A thought for Wednesday

Was Genetic Mutation around before we knew about Genetics?
Reply With Quote
The Artful Todger's Avatar
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
The Artful Todger is online now
Suffolk UK
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 11,954
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-06-2021, 12:16 PM
18

Re: A thought for Wednesday

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
A factor mart?......

Your immune system is working twenty four seven, just ask someone with Aids who doesn't have a strong, or even none existent, immune system how long they would last without meds....The bacteria on their skin would kill them within a week. A common cold would be the end, even an infected wound from a thorn would be life threatening. You owe your life to the continuing work of your immune system and your body's ability to repair itself. Doctors can only 'assist' because once your immune system fails you are history....
Which demonstrates that the quote by Voltaire is invalid.
Reply With Quote
mart's Avatar
mart
Chatterbox
mart is offline
South of England
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,971
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-06-2021, 12:21 PM
19

Re: A thought for Wednesday

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
A factor mart?......:044
I'm glad we give each other a laugh.
Reply With Quote
The Artful Todger's Avatar
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
The Artful Todger is online now
Suffolk UK
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 11,954
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
09-06-2021, 12:31 PM
20

Re: A thought for Wednesday

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Was Genetic Mutation around before we knew about Genetics?
Certainly was. Apart from anything else random genetic changes reinforced by environmental factors is what led to racial differences.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.