Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2020, 12:49 PM

Re: Past and present nurses, do you agree with the RCN?

Several patients at senior homes in Spain have been found dead after being abandoned by staff during the ongoing coronavirus outbreak, the country’s defense minister revealed, and prosecutors are now promising to prosecute those who are responsible.

Could this happen in British Hospitals if Nurses refuse to treat Patients?
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2020, 02:00 PM

I think when this is all over, there will be many ex ppi lawyers just waiting for the next big money making venture, did the place where you work have adequate ppe? we’re you asked to treat patients without it? , that sort of thing..
We have had about ten residents die in the last three weeks, although none atm COVID related, we admitted one patient from hospital from a covid ward, they were put in isolation and only two of the care staff per shift were allowed in, although I don’t think they should even have been allowed in, it was only last Thursday we were all given instructions to wear masks all the time, up until then, only care staff used them if they went into rooms where the resident had been isolated, ( some had d&v, others chest infections) we are supposed to be getting reusable face masks next week, but who knows, one of the housekeepers refused to enter a room to clean it and could be facing the sack, I’m trying to self isolate by taking as long as possible to decorate the room I am doing, but I’m getting worried, my son is on anti immune suppression meds and is at high risk, I think the s#*t will hit the fan when this is all over
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2020, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
You are there to serve. It is what nurses have historically done through many difficult times over the years

The Nightingale Pledge

With loyalty will I endeavor to aid the physician in his work and devote myself to the welfare of those committed to my care.
There have been many updates to the Nightingale pledge of 1893. The essential essence these days is "do no harm" and nurses are not just there to serve. They should not be expected to put their own lives in danger when for the sake of protective gear it is unnecessary.
https://www.ehow.co.uk/info_8376352_nursing-oath.html

https://www.rncentral.com/blog/2012/...ingale-pledge/
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2020, 03:51 PM

Off on a slight tangent but still pertaining to the apparent lack of PPE for health care workers in general:

Not that many years ago all hospitals in the UK had its own laundry for washing bedsheets, pillow cases, scrubs and surgical gowns. I presume that scrubs and gowns are no longer being laundered as they are in such short supply. If this is the case, why the heck did the NHS change its policy and stop laundering them?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2020, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Off on a slight tangent but still pertaining to the apparent lack of PPE for health care workers in general:

Not that many years ago all hospitals in the UK had its own laundry for washing bedsheets, pillow cases, scrubs and surgical gowns. I presume that scrubs and gowns are no longer being laundered as they are in such short supply. If this is the case, why the heck did the NHS change its policy and stop laundering them?
Our DGH(which is very modern and up to date) has it's own laundry and scrubs, etc. are very often disposable items these days.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2020, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Our DGH(which is very modern and up to date) has it's own laundry and scrubs, etc. are very often disposable items these days.
Then this bloody virus should teach the NHS a big lesson - change back to washable scrubs and gowns. To me disposable = landfill or incinerator disposal. If landfill they'll be with us for thousands of years to come. If incinerator fodder, then we've got the CO2 emissions to consider.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

13-04-2020, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Then this bloody virus should teach the NHS a big lesson - change back to washable scrubs and gowns. To me disposable = landfill or incinerator disposal. If landfill they'll be with us for thousands of years to come. If incinerator fodder, then we've got the CO2 emissions to consider.
They are incinerated, as are limbs, surgical tissue,etc. The incinerators are controlled as are the cremation incinerators and hospital waste does not end up in landfill.
I am amazed at how naïve some folks are. CO2 emissions are the least of things to worry about in this instance.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2020, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
There have been many updates to the Nightingale pledge of 1893. The essential essence these days is "do no harm" and nurses are not just there to serve. They should not be expected to put their own lives in danger when for the sake of protective gear it is unnecessary.
https://www.ehow.co.uk/info_8376352_nursing-oath.html

https://www.rncentral.com/blog/2012/...ingale-pledge/
As things are the way they are if you had CV19 would you refuse being nursed by a non wearing full PPE nurse or doctor ?
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2020, 04:59 PM

As things are the way they are if you had CV19 would you refuse being nursed by a non wearing full PPE nurse or doctor ?
As far as i am aware, patients confirmed with convid-19 are isolated from the rest of the other patients in hospitals. With any given isolation due to a virus, mandatory PPE requirements are enforced. Now if there is insufficient PPE and a nurse is told to enter the isolation area, they should refuse in my opinion.

Oh and in answer to the question you raised, yes I would refuse. One nurse has the experience to save the lives of many, I do not and as such I considered a nurses life more important than mine.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

13-04-2020, 05:37 PM

deleted post...……..

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top