Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
effingpot
Hampshire, UK
effingpot is male  effingpot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 04:42 PM

Re: Alexa Device Issues?

I have a huge music collection on my PC and via a thing called PLEX I can have Alexa play my music on ONE device only. It's "OK" but if anyone comes across a better solution I'm keen to know if there is one. Amazon music (free) doesn't seem to have half the music I already bought and store on my PC.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Does so many things, Art, my list would be:-

1) I fall down when alone, anywhere in my house, and shout "Alexa Get help". Alexa has been given several numbers and will call them in emergency.
(Tested & works)

2) Reminders - everything from cooking times to prescription taking times, to almost any other time you want to set up.

(tested & works- used every day.)

3) Answer to questions - about geography, weather, calculations, etc.

4) Plays music, various radio stations, etc.

5) Using adapters can control lights, heating, etc.

6)A recipe for dinner? yes!

7) Bus & train times.

I could go on.

Security is not an issue- except when people can hear what you are saying to Alexa. Some say that they see the light come and and that means it's listening - wrong, but it knows when you are in the room .

All the above although I must say that Echo isn't as good as Google's gadget when it comes to finding info or answering questions.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 07:06 PM

Very strange a while ago when Alexa reminded me I was going riding at 10am , I've never ridden a horse in my life .

Asked her to remind me of my shopping list and she told me to buy carrots bread milk and TOES
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Very strange a while ago when Alexa reminded me I was going riding at 10am , I've never ridden a horse in my life .

Asked her to remind me of my shopping list and she told me to buy carrots bread milk and TOES
One oddity, Susan, is that sometimes a radio or TV speaker might say the magic word "Alexa" and the device starts trying to work with what he said next.

Jeremy Vine (Radio 2) did it a few times, a week or three ago, I think he does it as a little joke - not that the BBC is in competition!

Must be horrible if someone in your house is called Alex or Alexa!

Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2021, 08:47 PM

I just reminded Alexa that today is Green bin emptying day!

You would never believe it, but the device got up, off the side table, and took the bin down to the roadside!

Brilliant Device!

Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2021, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by effingpot ->
I have a huge music collection on my PC and via a thing called PLEX I can have Alexa play my music on ONE device only. It's "OK" but if anyone comes across a better solution I'm keen to know if there is one. Amazon music (free) doesn't seem to have half the music I already bought and store on my PC.
Does your pc need to be on when playing music via your Alexa? You could have all your music on a NAS drive instead so you never run out of storage space on your pc. Can also be used to keep your photos and, of course, view them on your tv. Depends what you want really. What exactly do you want to do? Is your music in mp3 or flac format?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2021, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I just reminded Alexa that today is Green bin emptying day!

You would never believe it, but the device got up, off the side table, and took the bin down to the roadside!

Brilliant Device!

Get outa here....
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2021, 11:04 AM

Thank You for all your suggestions.
I think l need to send my Alexa to Obedience Classes. She doesn’t always obey what l ask and l can feel my voice getting louder and louder as l repeat the command.
She can be so exasperating!!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2021, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Thank You for all your suggestions.
I think l need to send my Alexa to Obedience Classes. She doesn’t always obey what l ask and l can feel my voice getting louder and louder as l repeat the command.
She can be so exasperating!!
If you want my suggestion Arty, you need a lump hammer and a plastic sheet.....
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2021, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
If you want my suggestion Arty, you need a lump hammer and a plastic sheet.....
Oooh Foxy, wouldn’t l hurt your head doing that to you?

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top