Join for free
Page 4 of 18 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2012, 04:52 PM

Re: Statins

Bridie you shouldn't be in so much pain so see your doctor ASAP.

You have to go on statins after a stroke as well and, although my cholesterol level was only 4.1, I still had to go on them. I was put on Simvastatin to begin with but they gave me the awful runs so my doctor changed mine to 40 mg Pravastatin instead and I've been fine on those.
Bridie
northants
Bridie is female  Bridie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2012, 08:26 PM

I'm seeing the doctor on Monday but not holding out much hope, she wasnt too sympathetic last week but the private doctor I saw from work says he is going to write to her. He couldnt believe that she hadnt given me anything not even anti inflamatories.

I cant see her until the results from the blood tests are in. My sister says both she and her husband are on statins, both different and neither have side effects. I may give them a go but will tell the doctor Im not happy.
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2012, 10:24 PM

Hi all..i can give you advice on this from my experience...i have had 3 different types of statin ..the first for 3 years then 2 years with a year break , ..i thought the problems i was getting was poss age related they caused me a great deal of muscle pain and other symptoms. but when i suffered 2 strokes to my optic nerves the doctor put me on them again and all the problems returned, before they put me on a different type of drug called ezetrol or ezetimibe and so far so good no problems at all and lower cholesterol ...they dont offer this drug routinely because statins are cheaper
if you want to check the side effects of statins try this web site

http://www.medications.com/

once i read the posts there i related a lot of my symptoms to simvastatin etc ..i have know been clear of statins for about a year now and although not 100% most of the symptoms have disappeared
hope this helps
Reikiman
Solihull, UK
Reikiman is male  Reikiman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2012, 04:37 PM

I have just read this topic with great interest.

I confirm that everyone who is taking statins - of any name or make - should take the supplement CoEnzyme Q10. As has been stated earlier in this topic, statins seriously reduce the essential CoQ10 within the body which is manufactured less and less as the body ages. Supplements of this essential enzyme help to reduce the side effects of the statins.

A healthy diet also aids the elimination of the side effects generated by the statins. Regretably this diet requires a minimum intake of red meat and plenty of Omega 3 rich foods and lots of vegetables.

Fortunately I do not have to take statins and would not if told to do so. However there are times when I just MUST have red meat and at those infrequent times I really enjoy my indulgence.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2012, 07:46 PM

Whoooa steady up, remember that what suit one might not suit another, we are not all the same.
If you have diabetes that can damage your liver and other organs, if you have rheumatoid arthritis, this also attacks organs in my case my heart, and don't forget smoking and drinking.
I have taken statins for about 8 years, and considering what I have had wrong with me over 40 years I have done well.
There is always someone trying to knock tried and tested meds, and statins are taken by multimillions, how many people do you know who are suffering with liver disease, I know of no one myself.
Just lately they are now saying aspirin is not good for us, well once again another I have taken for years, the small dose I take hasn't harmed me.
If it suits me I will take them, if it doesn't I wont bother.
Bridie
northants
Bridie is female  Bridie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2012, 07:56 PM

Well, Im seeing the doctor tomorrow and I still havent decided what to say. Thats if I have high cholesterol of course. I'm assuming I have, she wouldnt want to see me if I didnt. I'll see what she says, Im going to still change my GP anyway after tomorrow so I can come off it if I'm not happy.
Reikiman
Solihull, UK
Reikiman is male  Reikiman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2012, 10:17 PM

The only reason that statins are being promoted for everyone is that the pharmceutical companies make mega bucks from them and continuing large profits.

However, it does not change the requirement for CoQ10. Everyone taking statins should take CoQ10. If I can find the mdeical research articles in this regard I will post the links.

It is a matter of personal choice but the body suffers from depleted CoQ10.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2012, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Reikiman ->
The only reason that statins are being promoted for everyone is that the pharmceutical companies make mega bucks from them and continuing large profits.

However, it does not change the requirement for CoQ10. Everyone taking statins should take CoQ10. If I can find the mdeical research articles in this regard I will post the links.

It is a matter of personal choice but the body suffers from depleted CoQ10.
Yes it is about personnel choice Paul, but if the body is having the right diet, it will make its own CoQ10., for example meats and fish.
There are also side effects from it to if you have too much.
Don't you think companies who make vitamin supplements etc do it for money too, I do.
I have a blood test 2 weekly to monthly, my liver and cholesterol readings are fine
I have a low sodium reading, but a natural thing for me apparently, although it concerns my doctor, the hospital consultant has written to my GP to tell him it is no worry whatsoever, but keep an eye on it because there is no leeway for a reduction.
One other thing I must point out, it is fact that we are living longer now than we ever did, surely down to the medical care the nation has received.
Reikiman
Solihull, UK

22-01-2012, 10:49 PM

I know the body makes its own CoQ10 but as you age it makes less and less and a little suplementation does no harm.

From one who does.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.

23-01-2012, 10:17 AM

Equally you can overdose on vitamin supplements, but one thing bothers me, if you take supplements how do you know you need them? There is very little done in the way of testing folks for vitamin deficiency.
Take myself for instance, I fell for the "take more vit. c when you have a cold" true but in natural ways. Too much vit. c can cause you kidney problems.
Raw Food Health

Page 4 of 18 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top