Join for free
Page 7 of 27 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 17 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 05:37 PM

Re: Is Brexit over ??

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Eh?
I don't wish to appear rude but WTF are you talking about?
The benefits are real and apply now.
There is no 5 years - even with our waters; they are ours and we control access now.
The share of the catch that we dictate increases over 5 years.
As for the time, are you forgetting that the EU wanted 13 years?
We cannot take advantage of more now because we do not have the fishing fleet to do so.
Nominally, we control access to our waters. However, for some reason Boris has allowed the EU countries continued fishing in our waters including supertrawlers which, if allowed to continue plundering our waters, will result in a severe reduction of the numbers of fish.

You're perfectly correct, though, that we cannot take advantage of more fishing ourselves because we don't have the resources to do so. Why, then, can't we leave the fish to re-establish themselves over a few years? Or would you prefer the French and Dutch to take them all now while they have the chance?
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, I know that. That's why I said it!

And you are convinced that the WTO and the ICJ would come down against us?
Are we actually now a sovereign state?
I sometimes wonder.

Perhaps your opinions could be justified by the provision of indisputable facts?
Re: the bold - I have no idea what you mean since that is not what I either say nor suggest.
It was in response to your question of who would judge in case of dispute if not the ECJ.

As to the rest: the facts are written into the agreement, see below.

When even the knowledgable Reese-Mogg and the ERG can't find anything suggesting ECJ application post-Brexit or any other worries of note - and this after a thorough examination of the deal - you will I'm sure forgive me for being sceptical of the suspicions of a layperson.

Here, knock yourself out:
https://assets.publishing.service.go...24.12.2020.pdf
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 05:44 PM

As to the first part of your post, exactly so.
There is no perfect answer, as the report makes apparent.
What puzzles me is the obsession in this forum with the EU fishing in UK waters, since these EU vessels numbers are being reduced; they must generally now fish further away as we have seen in the reports; the situation will be reviewed fully in 5.5 years; AND we ourselves simply do not have the capacity to fish more ourselves yet.

I'm truly beginning to think that some people either do not understand or they do not want to understand that as from Jan 1st 2021, UK waters up to the 200-mile limit as shown frequently in media are our own.
Some EU fishing ships get reducing access for 5.5 years, but these waters are the UK's.
Really? They must fish further away?
Yet I understand that they are now allowed to fish between 6 and 12 from our coastline.
I think someone has become confused here.

And the waters are ours are they?
I must admit, it is very nice to be able to call them our waters.
A bit of a shame, though, that everyone and his son is still invited into them to fish as they were doing before...

oh, yes, but with a marginal reduction in the amount they can catch, so I've heard.
Does anyone check on that?
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 05:44 PM

Nominally, we control access to our waters. However, for some reason Boris has allowed the EU countries continued fishing in our waters including supertrawlers which, if allowed to continue plundering our waters, will result in a severe reduction of the numbers of fish.

You're perfectly correct, though, that we cannot take advantage of more fishing ourselves because we don't have the resources to do so. Why, then, can't we leave the fish to re-establish themselves over a few years? Or would you prefer the French and Dutch to take them all now while they have the chance?
We will never agree here so rather than waste time and electrons I'm out.
Most of the answers to your queries are there if you look for them.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

11-01-2021, 05:46 PM

Please read the readily-available facts before making yourself look silly.
I have already provided official links to start you off.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-01-2021, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
We can't legislate for the size of trawlers, neither can any country, but we can refuse to license them for fishing in our waters. We should do that now and use the conservation and sustainability clauses in the UK fisheries bill to justify it.
I agree. If these are really our waters, we should be able to decide precisely who can fish in them, to what extent and for how long.

I await with bated breath for 'someone' to shoot me down and point out in no uncertain terms that I don't know what I'm talking about.

No hard feelings, though. I enjoy a heated argument!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-01-2021, 05:51 PM

As a person there are things which you aren't allowed to do, even within your own home.
What? Fish? Even in my own home?
Zaphod
Lincs UK

11-01-2021, 05:56 PM

Yet I understand that they are now allowed to fish between 6 and 12 from our coastline.
I think someone has become confused here.
That would be you then.

' .... as an EU vessel his boat was not permitted to fish within 12 nautical miles of the territory.
Mr McClenaghan told RTÉ News: "We were fishing in Rockall and members of the crew from the Jura boarded us. They informed us that we could no longer fish inside the 12-mile limit of Rockall.” '
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...e-zone-around/
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-01-2021, 06:02 PM

As to the rest: the facts are written into the agreement, see below.
The 'agreement' is exactly what I am arguing against, and have been all along. I don't disagree that this 'deal' with the EU is not in our favour and, in fact, I can't see very much which we couldn't have benefited from had we just walked away at the end of December, with the added benefit of not remaining to some extent under the continuing control of the EU.

Here, knock yourself out:
https://assets.publishing.service.go...24.12.2020.pdf
You must be mad! You read through it and find something that will support your side of the argument. I have neither the time nor the trouble.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-01-2021, 06:04 PM

We will never agree here so rather than waste time and electrons I'm out.
Excellent. That's the best thing you've said so far!

Page 7 of 27 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 17 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top