Join for free
Page 8 of 11 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2013, 12:33 PM

Re: On-velope? Or enn-velope?

I'm totally lost now ........
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2013, 12:48 PM

Pop songs are nearly always written on envelopes, Scott Fitzgerald was way ahead of them all in 1931 as you can see here he's having a bit of bother writing the lyrics for that famous pop song 'Papa Who Mau Mau'.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2013, 12:54 PM

I love Ian Hislop! He's sooooooo cute!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2013, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
I love Ian Hislop! He's sooooooo cute!
Erm ......yes Twiz, you do ......
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2013, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Cheshire Cat ->
I'm from Yorkshire and live in Cheshire and its always been scone around these parts and its en-velope here too.

Scone is spelt with an "e" on the end, so how can it be scon?
I think you are making the fatal mistake of assuming that the English language is logical...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2013, 02:32 PM

[QUOTE=Robert Junior;357299]I met a lot of these odd names when I was working for GRACE BROTHERS (actually JLP).Their reaction to my getting it wrong was predictable.
TRy these

WRIOTHESLEY Roxly

WAUCHOPE Walk-up

STRACHAN Strawn or Stra-han

ST. JOHN Sin-jun

They gave me the willies. (/QUOTE]

We've got a "Bozeat", pronounced "Boshert", and a "Cogenhoe", pronounced "Coockner".
(That's the best I can do with the spelling interpretations anyway).
BV, there is also a pub not far away also called the St.Johns Arms, pronounced Sin-Jun as you say.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2013, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
I met a lot of these odd names when I was working for GRACE BROTHERS (actually JLP).Their reaction to my getting it wrong was predictable.
TRy these

WRIOTHESLEY Roxly

WAUCHOPE Walk-up

STRACHAN Strawn or Stra-han

ST. JOHN Sin-jun

They gave me the willies.
Do you reckon they just had trouble spelling

While on the subject, I found that the ones with OLD money never asked the price of anything. Those with NEW money always did.
Ugh - favourite mantra of my mother's: if you have to ask the price then you can't afford it
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2013, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
BV, there is also a pub not far away also called the St.Johns Arms, pronounced Sin-Jun as you say.
Imagine the confusion when setting foot on the Isle of Man! Maughold (not mawghold as I said it) is mackuld, the Moddey Dhoo (pronounced Mauthe Doo) is a black dog said to haunt several places, Ballaugh (Ballaff - flat 'a's), Marown (again, flat 'a' and then pronounced as in gown but without the 'g') - then there's all the evil goblins and fairies out to do you no good and as they don't like their names being said incorrectly, I don't even try, just in case
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2013, 05:22 PM

No, best not to BV, never upset the goblins, they might be friends with the gremlins.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2013, 01:05 AM

I think the clue is in the spelling. If it begins with an e then it's envelope, not onvelope. If the word ends with an e then the previous vowel is lengthened, therefore scone, not scon.

Supposing the word was envelop. Would you say onvelop? Of course not! However, if the word was entourage, then it would be pronouced ontourage, but only because it's a French word and which would be correct! If it were entrance, would you say ontrance? It gets dafter the more you think about it!

However, I'm a northerner and the word scone is generally pronounced as scon.

You say tomato, I say tomayto!

According my Oxford Concise English Dictionary which is nearly four inches thick and over 60 years old, envelope is pronounced with an e, and not an o.

The name Beecham has been pronounced Beauchamp. I could go on, but you'd probably fall asleep from boredom.

Page 8 of 11 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top