Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jean
Northern ireland
Jean is female  Jean has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2012, 07:32 PM

Just my opinion

Religion and politics is a subject I steer clear from, I know folks get a rise from it, but I have seen friendships ruined because of someone taking offence, so that is why I don't comment on those pages, talk or comment on anything other than that
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2012, 07:36 PM

Re: Just my opinion

I'm the same Jean.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2012, 07:39 PM

Same here Jean, I keep my fingers crossed that it all stays friendly.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2012, 08:00 PM

I think a friend isn`t a real friend if you can`t discuss your beliefs and feelings with them.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2012, 08:01 PM

Me too, coward that I am.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2012, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
I think a friend isn`t a real friend if you can`t discuss your beliefs and feelings with them.
I agree with Claire we are adults not children squabbling in a school yard and as such we should be able to have discussions with friends on any topic without offence being given or taken.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2012, 09:38 PM

I steer clear of politics and religion too Jean. Those people that are *too* interested in them, won't be able to hold back their deeply-held passionate views.
It's very difficult to consider those kinds of subjects objectively, some take it as some kind of personal criticism if you don't agree with them.
Having said all that, it is I suppose HOW you talk about it all that matters.
If a friend can't hold a decent conversation without blowing up, is their friendship worth it?.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 03:21 AM

In the Officers' and Sergeants' Messes there were three subjects which were totally outlawed for conversation, those being Religion, Politics and Sports (specifically football).

This was because if anyone brought up these subjects after having had a few drinks, the conversations were likely to cause controversy which could perhaps have culminated in befitting non-gentlemanly behaviour.

For myself, I have no interest in politics, nor sports, so I wouldn't dream of joining in any conversations regarding those. As to religion, I have my own personal feelings, which I would never dream of arguing about with others, so I keep me trap shut on all three subjects!
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 08:17 AM

Politics and Religion are and have been the cause of most wars.

Mollie, when I was in the forces the main subject in the officers mess was sport.
poppycock
hampshire England
poppycock is female  poppycock has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 10:35 AM

yes me as well Antibrown I too spent many hours in the officers mess and no subject was taboo as for ungentlemany behaviour one thinks you have been watching to much Sharpe mollie. Nothing gentlemany about drunken officers or squaddies trust me I know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top