Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 04:22 PM

Re: Oops more heated questions. lol

Originally Posted by Janela ->
I think that maybe your loyalty should be with the country you have chosen to be a citizen of but surely your sentimentality will always be with your country of birth.
I think that's it in a nutshell Janela.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 04:35 PM

But what if a person has dual nationality? Would it be a problem being loyal towards both countries?
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
But what if a person has dual nationality? Would it be a problem being loyal towards both countries?
That's a double edged sword
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 06:46 PM

From the point of view of someone born elsewhere I personally cannot see any one having any real problem at all over this.
I was born in Malta. I have strong feelings of Malta being "home" to me, although I don't think that I'd ever go "home" to stay, like so many Maltese did in the past; notably those returning from Oz.
My parents were both British and we came back to the UK when I was about three so I'm British, although I still consider myself English first.
I've lived and worked in several different countries but always as an Englishman but, if I ever decided that Malta was the place where I wanted to spend my final years, my loyalty then would be to Malta first - but as an resident Englishman. Seems straight-forward to me. stevmk2
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 07:07 PM

Like Meg, I would never leave my Country permanently, but that's not an answer is it. I think this is more of a young persons question, after all very few of the over fifties would up roots and emigrate, you can't change horses in mid stream. If I was younger and was working, living, and enjoying another Country's hospitality, if my children were to be born there and I was prepared to end my days there, then I would consider it my duty to apply for citizenship and be loyal to that Country first, and if I was a celebrity in any field making a fortune out of that Country, to donate as much as I could to help that Country, especially in harsh times. I would retain my memories of the old Country and be content with that.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 07:40 PM

I lived in the USA for eight years, my children went to school there and it was hard to hear my son beginning to sound American and use Americanisms which was normal. I myself had to learn how to speak when I worked in a bakery in New York otherwise the New Yorkers couldn't understand me.

I came home eventually becuase I found it difficult to see my kids pledging alliegance to the flag of America. My eldest son remained wanting to be an American and he has done well, but has always kept his British passport. My other two kids came home with me and carried on with their lives here quite happily.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2012, 08:15 AM

To add to the delemma what if the two country's in question went to war with each other, where would the loyalties lie?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2012, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
To add to the delemma what if the two country's in question went to war with each other, where would the loyalties lie?
From an individual standpoint, I think I would decide what to do based upon the reason/s why the two countries were going to war with each other. It would be a dilemma indeed AB.
We only stayed in South Africa temporarily because of the country's apartheid laws at the time we were there and, to be honest, I don't think I would wish live and work in a country, making it my home if I was not generally prepared to fall in line with its policies. For that reason, it is unlikely that any country I lived in would go to war with the country of my birth.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2012, 01:44 PM

I suppose it comes down to wether or not you support the view `My country, right or wrong`.
When I lived abroad I loved the country I was in but missed a lot of things about the UK. Now I`m back in the UK there are things I miss about those other places.
On the other hand I would never support some things about Britain. I`m not blind to our failings.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2012, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
I suppose it comes down to wether or not you support the view `My country, right or wrong`.
When I lived abroad I loved the country I was in but missed a lot of things about the UK. Now I`m back in the UK there are things I miss about those other places.
On the other hand I would never support some things about Britain. I`m not blind to our failings.
Excellent You expressed my own feelings.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top