Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 12:14 AM

NHS Dental charges gripe!

Seemingly gone are the days when the dentist will give you an examination and a scale and polish!
I visited mine recently, he said my oral hygiene was good and he could see I was taking care of my teeth but arranged for me to see the hygienist for a deep clean, total cost £50.50, £18.50 was for the examination, I've researched on the net and it says your dentist should do a scale and polish at no extra charge but mine doesn't.

I then had a check up by the hygienist and a basic scale and polish, she said she wanted to see me again in four months for a deeper scale but I'd be charged privately, just under £40.

So my gripe is if I had the work done I'd have to pay again 2 months later for my usual check up and the hygienist said she'd see me then too after I'd had my examination, it's a huge tug on my purse strings and I really don't think it's right that I should be charged so much!

rant over
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 03:56 AM

Re: NHS Dental charges gripe!

Its the way of the world now Honey, finding ways to seperate us from our cash.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 09:07 AM

I've had terrible experiences at the dentist, I always manage to find the money grabbing ones !
Problem is, not much choice now
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 09:15 AM

I have been paying a lot for dental treatment for years since the government of the day changed the rules . My dentist as did others in the area left the national health service and set up a private insurance scheme for their patients which we had little choice but to join. It was either do that or don't have a dentist.

So I pay a monthly premium which works out at about £70 a year and dental charges. A check up and clean is free though. .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 09:22 AM

Having had problems for years with pain the NHS dentist seemed unable to deal with effectively my husband chose a private dentist, the difference was amazing. They said his teeth were beyond saving and were quite angry any dentist would have left him in so much pain, took the teeth out provided false teeth and he has never looked back. Pain free at last. According to the private dentist this should have happened years previously but NHS are told to save the teeth no matter what !
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 09:23 AM

It is all very unfair, especially for all of us on low incomes, not just pensioners but nearly all the dentists around here are private now and charge whatever they like - £46 my last hygienist appointment cost me - and I've only got 7 teeth of my own left! stevmk2
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
Seemingly gone are the days when the dentist will give you an examination and a scale and polish!
I visited mine recently, he said my oral hygiene was good and he could see I was taking care of my teeth but arranged for me to see the hygienist for a deep clean, total cost £50.50, £18.50 was for the examination, I've researched on the net and it says your dentist should do a scale and polish at no extra charge but mine doesn't.

I then had a check up by the hygienist and a basic scale and polish, she said she wanted to see me again in four months for a deeper scale but I'd be charged privately, just under £40.

So my gripe is if I had the work done I'd have to pay again 2 months later for my usual check up and the hygienist said she'd see me then too after I'd had my examination, it's a huge tug on my purse strings and I really don't think it's right that I should be charged so much!

rant over
You can say No to the Hygienist,just say your on a low income,
Im have a course of treatment on Nhs, ,it involve 5 extractions and denture made cost is going to be £218,
And i have to pay in two halves so next two months im on bread and dripping and jam for atreat...
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Im have a course of treatment on Nhs, ,it involve 5 extractions and denture made cost is going to be £218,
And i have to pay in two halves so next two months im on bread and dripping and jam for atreat...
Wow at that price i might rethink the Jam
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
It is all very unfair, especially for all of us on low incomes, not just pensioners but nearly all the dentists around here are private now and charge whatever they like - £46 my last hygienist appointment cost me - and I've only got 7 teeth of my own left! stevmk2
Spot on Steve - its hard finding an NHS dentist ! Especially a 'good' one ....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Check the private cost, my husbands denture cost less privately than on the NHS and even less than that when he went to a proper dental technician where all they do is make dentures.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top