Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 02:11 PM

Re: Giving up Smoking

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
Aaah - Malta!

That's always home to me Patsy.

I was born there. stevmk2
Oh I didn't realise - do you go back ?
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
The night sky in deserted places is truly amazing.
Went to Malta years ago, not much pollution there then and I was stunned by the night sky, must have been even more awe inspiring for you Steve
Not much pollution..the place stinks!!

It is like a building site..

Went to the beach with the intention of swimming until I saw used sanitary towels and condoms floating round in the sea!!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by lilac ->
Not much pollution..the place stinks!!

It is like a building site..

Went to the beach with the intention of swimming until I saw used sanitary towels and condoms floating round in the sea!!
Wasn't like that when I was there - trust you to respond in that manner !
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Wasn't like that when I was there - trust you to respond in that manner !
Why should I lie??

I am not into appeasing peeps..

I tell the truth..

Medina was nice..Valetta was nice..the rest was..quite frankly..bloody awful..

Sorry about that Patsy...
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 02:22 PM

I 'gave up' temporarily as it turned out, twice, by going cold turkey each time it lasted several years, and just like lilac I was tempted back by the scrounged one or two, the pack of ten which I swore would last days, then the twenty which worked out cheaper.

I even tried the patches, but had a reaction to even the lowest dose (looked as if I had been 'cupped'). Then about six, or maybe seven years ago I was rushed into hospital having developed Type II. There I was with a drip attached to one hand, and an insulin pump to the other. Oh yes I could go for a ciggie alright, down a long corridor, into the lift and down two floors, then another corridor to the garden smoking area, with two poles? You have got to be kidding me.

Funny thing was over the four days I was there I never once felt the craving for a ciggie. And when I got home, and walked into the flat where of course my son had been smoking, and the smell hit me, it almost made me Ill. Bless his heart, he gave up there and then, and neither of us has been tempted to have one since. BUT, I still get the odd feeling occasionally after a meal, or while having a coffee, that something is missing, and of course it is the 'oral' satisfaction that a ciggie provides. I think this is why many ex smokers gain weight, it is not so much eating as a deliberate way to alleviate that need, more a subconscious way of solving it.

Apropos the smell though, even now I cannot abide the aura of stale smoke and tobacco that lingers on people who have just had a fag, sitting on a bus and having someone come and sit next who has just had one is torture; or being in a store and someone standing near makes me rush away. I am so tempted to ask if they realise that they carry this disgusting miasma of nasty stale ash tray around with them?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

07-06-2014, 02:26 PM

Here we go again OTT statements especially from ex smokers - how very boring !
lilac
West yorks uk

07-06-2014, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by daisymay ->

Apropos the smell though, even now I cannot abide the aura of stale smoke and tobacco that lingers on people who have just had a fag, sitting on a bus and having someone come and sit next who has just had one is torture; or being in a store and someone standing near makes me rush away. I am so tempted to ask if they realise that they carry this disgusting miasma of nasty stale ash tray around with them?
Strangely enough..those who smoke liquid E substitutes..come and smoke them in our ''fag hut'' sniffing in our passive smoke like the Bisto kids...
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 02:32 PM

I gave up over 20 years ago, just stopped. I could quite easily start again even now, can't stand the smell of stale tobacco on people but the smoke is very enticing!
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 02:33 PM

[QUOTE=stevmk2;474260]I could have sworn I'd put a thread up about this before but I can't actually find it so apologies if it's a duplicate.
so I decided to cut out the tobacco and bought a little electronic vaporiser that burns an oil - I bought Strawberry Mint with no nicotine - and it's been pretty good.

Just a question about these, what is the legislation on where the can be used? I ask because on the bus yesterday there was this rather shall we say 'insalubrious' looking character constantly puffing away on one, while sitting immediately below a no smoking sign. And am presuming it was one with nicotine as there was visible (smoke?)vapour as he exhaled, and a slight smell of ciggy.
Bluerose
London UK
Bluerose is female 

07-06-2014, 02:34 PM

You are all going to hate me now.
I don’t smoke, never have.
And only one of my three grown kids smoke.
Don’t know where I went wrong there.

Stevmk2,

May I wish you the very, very best of luck.
Sounds like you already feel the benefits.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top